New Rs Candidate

HitmanAU

In my view, the cost difference between one that is pretty tired and rough and one that is pretty much mint and loved to death by its owner is relatively small. You could not fix up a roughie for the cost difference especially if there are serious cosmetic or mechanical issues.

+100 to this.

A couple more have shown up on car sales today, very very nice ones in fact.

The only issue is they're all interstate meaning I can't transfer the almost year of rego they have over to me as I don't have a valid address there.

Also this diesel showed up. I didn't know there was a Sport 175! Bit different

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2009/SSE-AD-3645824

Hmmm, can't you just purchase one and drive it on the interstate rego/plates until the interstate rego is about to expire?

Alternatively, get it registered properly and apply for a refund of the remaining interstate rego?

I've never bought a car that I was 'local' to, except my current Meggy - they've all been inter-city, inter-state, or international!

Worth the trouble for the right car, especially as these cars aren't that common to begin with...

Hmmm, can't you just purchase one and drive it on the interstate rego/plates until the interstate rego is about to expire?

Alternatively, get it registered properly and apply for a refund of the remaining interstate rego?

I've never bought a car that I was 'local' to, except my current Meggy - they've all been inter-city, inter-state, or international!

Worth the trouble for the right car, especially as these cars aren't that common to begin with...

Option 1 not possible unless you either defer the transfer of ownership (there are time limits, so not an option) or you have an address in the purchase state - unlikely.  Refund of balance rego would go back to the original owner, so perhaps you can negotiate this as part of the purchase, accounting for that refund to the seller.

I agree the interstate buy can be worth the hassles for the right car.

I bought my car from Victoria with around 11 months rego remaining on the car and was able to get a refund after taking it back to NSW. I wasn't really sure whether they would refund it to me or previous owner but I just sent Vicroads the documentation that I had bought the car and taken it to NSW and reregistered it here and they refunded me the remainder.

I bought my car from Victoria with around 11 months rego remaining on the car and was able to get a refund after taking it back to NSW. I wasn't really sure whether they would refund it to me or previous owner but I just sent Vicroads the documentation that I had bought the car and taken it to NSW and reregistered it here and they refunded me the remainder.

Exactly right...as long as the previous interstate owner transfers the ownership to you and lists the price of the car on the transfer form he hands to you along with the greenslip or a copy (for refund purposes also).

In HitmanAU's case he is then then able to drive to Vic. on interstate plates and take this form to VICROADS together with new greenslip and Vic. roadworthy certificate & pay rego and transfer fee and  then ask for form or instructions for refund of balance of interstate rego & greenslip.

I think you have 2 weeks from purchase date to do this.

Oh I didn't think you could even do the transfer without the local address.

What you said makes sense though as otherwise no one would purchase interstate

In Queensland you cannot.  Need to have a Qld address in order to transfer rego.  All states are a little different, but I would be surprised if you can transfer the registration without a local address in that state.

That said, evidence of sale of the vehicle, with receipt for payment, completed transfer paperwork for the home state all signed by the seller, may be sufficient evidence, along with the registration in the new state, for the original registration balance to be transferred to you instead of the original owner.

Worth asking the question.

Whenever I have bought interstate, the vehicles have been new, so they were not actually registered in the state of purchase, and driven on a temporary permit and then registered for the first time in my home state.

Good luck with it all, but others here are likely to have directly relevant experience for you to advise.

I live in NSW & have sold cars to guys living in Victoria and Queensland with no problem following the guidelines in my last post.

In each case they have driven back to their state with the NSW plates, rego transfer (signed by me) and NSW greenslip for refund.

They then register it in their state by submitting the new state RWC, greenslip & paying the new rego  fee and transfer fee.  They will then be told how to obtain a refund of the balance of the interstate rego and greenslip.

You don't have to live in or have an address in the state of purchase to transfer ownership/rego otherwise it would be very difficult to buy cars interstate and this occurs every day with no problems.

If you are unsure contact the relevant registration authority in your state but you will find it is a straightforward

process.

Whatever you do don't pay for the transfer fee in NSW or wherever you buy the car  and then drive it back to your home state coz when you re-register it you will get slugged again for the transfer which is usually 3% to 4% of purchase price depending on state.

Also, I know of guys who have surrendered interstate plates and obtained permits etc. before driving home to their state but this is totally unnecessary and quite expensive.

Queensland is the exception to the rule - Jason is right. You can't get an unregistered permit to drive a QLD car home from QLD to NSW, for example, without having a QLD address. It's stupid, and much better to keep the QLD car registered until you're home then surrendering registration, and adequate means of proof of sale of purchase should be enough to get registration in your home state. The other way around is straightforward and Chris is right on this account. 

This is easily worked around though when you're applying for that permit on the phone, by means of a simple google image search using certain keywords... 

• Like 1

I think the easier option is to just buy it unregistered, get a vehicle permit for the drive home and then register here in VIC

NO...NO...NOOOOO....that's the most expensive way to do it as not only do you lose the NSW rego refund to the previous owner, you also have to pay for a permit & surrender NSW plates & possibly another fee is payable there & you will still have to pay a rego transfer fee in Victoria.

It's not rocket science mate.....just get the owner in NSW to give the rego transfer form including car price to you, signed by him, obtain his greenslip (or a copy) then drive the car to Victoria with the NSW plates attached.

Then take the NSW rego plates, transfer form along with a new Vic. roadworthy certificate and new Vic. greenslip to VicRoads and pay the necessary fees and then ask them about claiming balance of NSW rego & greenslip.  They do this sort of thing all the time.

I know for a fact that you can't get a refund or transfer QLD rego to other states.

I bought my CLIO from Brisbane and only the previous owner could get a refund when I returned the plates to the NSW rego office. I appealed that fact and was told in blunt terms that only a QLD owner can get a refund and only once the plates are surrendered.

I know for a fact that you can't get a refund or transfer QLD rego to other states.

I bought my CLIO from Brisbane and only the previous owner could get a refund when I returned the plates to the NSW rego office. I appealed that fact and was told in blunt terms that only a QLD owner can get a refund and only once the plates are surrendered.

Apparently QLD.. is the only state that does this, yet you can register a NSW car in QLD.. and return the NSW plates to them & they will re-register the car and advise how to get a refund of the remaining NSW rego & greenslip...go figure.... :sicko:

I know this because last year I sold my MX5 to a QLD. guy who drove it from NSW to QLD.& did this.

Apparently QLD.. is the only state that does this, yet you can register a NSW car in QLD.. and return the NSW plates to them & they will re-register the car and advise how to get a refund of the remaining NSW rego & greenslip...go figure.... :sicko:

I know this because last year I sold my MX5 to a QLD. guy who drove it from NSW to QLD.& did this.

Don't try and do the other way though. Just ask Ace about that....

Yep....also happened to BUSGO as mentioned.

Why the hell has QLD. got to be different to the other states.  They also don't have daylight saving coz NSW has it.

Apparently they don't want to follow suit with anything other states do.

Perhaps they like to be the first to instigate something and all the other states have to follow their example.

No offence to our QLD. forum members...it's a State Government issue..... :mrgreen:

Yep....also happened to BUSGO as mentioned.

Why the hell has QLD. got to be different to the other states. They also don't have daylight saving coz NSW has it.

Apparently they don't want to follow suit with anything other states do.

Perhaps they like to be the first to instigate something and all the other states have to follow their example.

No offence to our QLD. forum members...it's a State Government issue..... :mrgreen:

And potential spleen vent...? :)

• Like 1

NO...NO...NOOOOO....that's the most expensive way to do it as not only do you lose the NSW rego refund to the previous owner, you also have to pay for a permit & surrender NSW plates & possibly another fee is payable there & you will still have to pay a rego transfer fee in Victoria.

It's not rocket science mate.....just get the owner in NSW to give the rego transfer form including car price to you, signed by him, obtain his greenslip (or a copy) then drive the car to Victoria with the NSW plates attached.

Then take the NSW rego plates, transfer form along with a new Vic. roadworthy certificate and new Vic. greenslip to VicRoads and pay the necessary fees and then ask them about claiming balance of NSW rego & greenslip. They do this sort of thing all the time.

The issue I have is the car that I really like is QLD.

I will have a chat to VICRoads and see what they say. I'm happy either way so long as j get a decent car out of it :wink:

The issue I have is the car that I really like is QLD.

I will have a chat to VICRoads and see what they say. I'm happy either way so long as j get a decent car out of it :wink:

Sorry.....I thought it was the NSW car you were referring to.

Looks the goods & in NSW so no rego transfer dramas.

Maybe some forum member living in Sydney can check it out for you?

Hahahaa thousands for tyres is craaaaazy!!! That said, I used to run soft compound semis on the Familia and would get about 6000km out of them Hahahahaa oh and they were a little hairy if it drizzled

If you don't plan on using decent tyres just save yourself the angst and buy a falcon.

Chasis brilliance means nothing if you are running Nankings

• Like 1

I always run good tyres and will continue to do so because at the end of the day they're what's holding you on the road but shop around, no need to pay thousands for 4 tyres.

Part of the dynamic brilliance of the Trophy R is widely attributed to the PSC2 tyres. I will continue to run them even at some ridiculous price as the car deserves that. I may never push the limits of them (or not too often anyway) but that is part of the car's brilliance and it's attraction for me.

That said I will try for the best priced PSC2 tyres I can find at replacement time... :)

just saw one pop up on gumtree - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belmont/cars-vans-utes/2006-renault-megane-sport-225/1093923172

look pretty immaculate conditions inside & outside but is in Perth :(

anything here has transport their car due to far distance to travel to get the car? 

how much you would it cost to ship to ACT and it is wise to purchase it without looking at the car in person?

Edited by billa

just saw one pop up on gumtree - http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/belmont/cars-vans-utes/2006-renault-megane-sport-225/1093923172

look pretty immaculate conditions inside & outside but is in Perth :(

anything here has transport their car due to far distance to travel to get the car? 

how much you would it cost to ship to ACT and it is wise to purchase it without looking at the car in person?

Have a look at the front of this car - I could be mistaken but that's not the norm?

Have a look at the front of this car - I could be mistaken but that's not the norm?

If it's the one I am thinking about, it's a a repairable write-off and also has slightly different color front panels as well (you can't really see in these pictures) - however, I could be wrong and someone can advise about the front bumper!  

And this one.  Also in WA.  May be the one that was listed for sale a while ago.  Seems pretty low kms.  Photos not great however, so you would want some better photos...

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/geraldton-6530/cars-vans-utes/2009-renault-megane-hatchback-225-sport-cup-/1092893015

If it's the one I am thinking about, it's a a repairable write-off and also has slightly different color front panels as well (you can't really see in these pictures) - however, I could be wrong and someone can advise about the front bumper!  

Front bumper is not from an RS.  Very questionable all told.  Obviously repaired, but they used a non RS bumper, so what else has not been done properly... ?

I think billa had meant to post a link to the immaculate red WA car, but posted a link to the silver repaired Newcastle car instead. The Newcastle car was advertised some months ago, with the disclaimer that the front bumper and guards had been replaced and didn't match, so likely a front-end hit.

PS: I think the WA red car looks the goods. Get an inspection done, fly over and drive her back!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by f3nr15

Geraldton is some 4 hours north of Perth. The car looks amazing though. With the low kms it would be a safe buy

If you could convince the owner to drive it to perth and fly home, it would still cost approx $800 to get it across to the eastern seaboard.

It is by far my favorite car for sale at the moment but Geraldton to Hobart =  :sicko:

Geraldton is some 4 hours north of Perth. The car looks amazing though. With the low kms it would be a safe buy

If you could convince the owner to drive it to perth and fly home, it would still cost approx $800 to get it across to the eastern seaboard.

It is by far my favorite car for sale at the moment but Geraldton to Hobart =  :sicko:

what about this one? 

http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/north-hobart/cars-vans-utes/2005-renault-megane-225-sport-cup-car/1061530458

its in hobart too.

Yeah driven it.

Really nice car and no expenses spared in its maintenance, $14k is just pushing it a little for a Phase 1 in my opinion. And the A/C didn't work, which put me off as the day I test drove it it was 27deg. The guy that owns the dealership that it is listed at actually own the car. Nice bloke but i got the impressions that he was not very neg on the price for this one.

Yeah driven it.

Really nice car and no expenses spared in its maintenance, $14k is just pushing it a little for a Phase 1 in my opinion. And the A/C didn't work, which put me off as the day I test drove it it was 27deg. The guy that owns the dealership that it is listed at actually own the car. Nice bloke but i got the impressions that he was not very neg on the price for this one.

Gotta love Tassie... 27 degrees!!! Did the heater work..?

• Like 1

If it's the one I am thinking about, it's a a repairable write-off and also has slightly different color front panels as well (you can't really see in these pictures)

you're right the car has been involved in an accident, the owner repaired bonnet headlights bumper and support but didn't set off the airbags. 
He's dad is a mechanic and he did all the service himself with his dad help, and he never had timing belt changed before.

so question, it is safe to consider this car? 
Edited by billa

you're right the car has been involved in an accident, the owner repaired bonnet headlights bumper and support but didn't set off the airbags. 
He's dad is a mechanic and he did all the service himself with his dad help, and he never had timing belt changed before.

so question, it is safe to consider this car? 

I wouldn't.  

They are no so expensive a car for a pretty good one that you would need to consider a questionable one.  At some point you will either want to have it look like an RS and change the bumper etc (which will be expensive), especially if you need to paint it all, or you will want to sell it, and the next potential buyer will be asking this same question.

Lots of good ones for less than the cost of fixing one that has questionable history and, if the belts are not done, could be long overdue to lunch its engine.  In which case, it could be given to you, and still may not be worth it...

Just my two cents worth...

I picked up that F1 225 in case anyone wonders what happens to it. Mechanically perfect just needed a clean and by that I mean I'm going to decontaminate it.

I'll have a build log up at some stage in the future.

Good luck on your search, let us know what you get and post some maaaad pics!!!

See you at a drive day sometime maybe.

• Like 3

A couple more have shown up on car sales today, very very nice ones in fact.

The only issue is they're all interstate meaning I can't transfer the almost year of rego they have over to me as I don't have a valid address there.

Also this diesel showed up. I didn't know there was a Sport 175! Bit different

https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Renault-Megane-2009/SSE-AD-3645824

I had a 175, completely underrated. I can't remember who it was on the forum but a member had a drive and to quote "It's oh so wrong, but oh so right" haha. Also 1100K's out of a tank WITH a tune. Can't complain.

• Like 1