Upgrading a Scenic with RS-Components

clixx-io

You did say this back on the first page about the stock Scenic :wink:

To be fair, he did only say from takeoff. Could be the first 10m where the scenic is the king. Both the WRX and M3 have very specific higher power bands and the Scenic would be designed for low down pulling power not hight end BHP...

You did say this back on the first page about the stock Scenic :wink:

Yeah. I was saying I got smashed by a Turbo Forester, and that I was close to some of the slower WRXs. I never said the Scenics smashes all WRXs. Subaru's have a gearbox weakness that means most owners don't want to launch them hard. I seem to have discovered an engine weekness in the detuned non-RS F4R :( Live and learn - at great expense.

Or it could be that only one person was racing :wink:

Well I can't do anything fairer than try turning up at Wakefield Park on thursday, with the vehicle kitted out a bit better.

Hats off mate for doing the conversion. Most people are all talk when it comes to doing something like this so it is awesome to see you are giving it a crack. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

p.s. you might need to give me some tips on how you got wife approval to get it done.

> p.s. you might need to give me some tips on how you got wife approval to get it done.

"Honey, I'm putting in the slightly stronger sports engine because I don't think the last one was really strong enough. I'm dissapointed that the old one broke so easily, but it was 12 years old.".

Has she been in the Clio Sport 172 to compare the difference? Pretty sure no :), but I did at least check it out for myself in one to see that the Sport engine would be suitable for our needs.

To be fair, he did only say from takeoff. Could be the first 10m where the scenic is the king. Both the WRX and M3 have very specific higher power bands and the Scenic would be designed for low down pulling power not hight end BHP...

There's a way to improve your powerband:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11&products_id=36&zenid=uA1l4LYGd6Fdjri7x3En91

I won't be buying one. Looks like a complete waste of money.

Yeah! You'd be silly not to.

If not that, then at least something else from their catalogue. They've got something for everyone.

You should contact them and see if they'll offer a dscout for OZ RS members. I've got my eye on the AWD drive kit.

> Ha ha ... If you had a V6 Clio you'd surely have to go the flux capacitor in the back above the engine.

Is the flux-capacitor a genuine-part? wouldn't the engine mounts be different? How would that integrate to the ECU?

I was considering using a standard V6 Clio engine http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Renault-Clio-Sport-V6-RS-3000Gt-6-Speed-MT-Engine-Motor-OEM-/251804470633  $AUD 5,199.00

$_12.JPG

but I was advised by a mechanic that the Clio-Sport F4R would be a much easier fit.

The other problem is the engineering cost. With the Clio-RS 2L engine that was chosen, it doesn't exceed the 20% engine capcity upgrade limitation that would then require additional engineering certification. The most that I was told that I could go to was 2.4L and there isn't a Renault engine of that size. If I went to 3L the project costs would have exceeded my budget.

> So is the standard Scenic auto an older style mechanical unit or an electronically controlled one?

Mechanical as far as I know. That's why I selected this vehicle.

> Curious as to how the auto is integrated to the 172 engine / ECU.

There shouldn't need to be any integration. Auto ECU's usually just have a bit more logic so that they can only start in 'P' and with the brake pedal pressed. But on the 'Manual' ECU that logic doesn't exist, they're simpler.

If we can't integrate the RS-172 ECU this week, we're just falling back to the Standard Scenic ECU, which due to the tight schedule is entirely reasonable. Julian has way more expert knowledge than me. There's the immobiliser issue to consider also. I think I forgot to pick that up when I got the Engine.

Julians been really busy with it and it's really up to him as he's the expert to decide which way to go. No problems reported so far so it's all proceeding rather nicely.

Soo i think the question is now, can you stick a F4RT in the Scenic with Cup suspension?

A scenic manula can be had for $2k

A F4RT shouldn't be that much and Im sure there is someone out there selling some suspension/hub parts...

My personal guess is that an F4RT should fit, but the car is going from 101Kw to around 150Kw already (The Clio RS Engine that I got from Nemz has the RS-Tuner upgrade).

I'm not sure about putting an engine with double the power in this type of vehicle without spending a lot of money to upgrade the brakes and suspension.

If the performance of the RS-Clio engine isn't really enough then that's definitely going to be a future option. The good thing about Renault is an extensive range of engine upgrade options from Renault-Sport to choose from :) That's for sure.

I'm told is that it will be ready for pickup on Wednesday and it will be going to Wakefield Park on Thursday for the Track day.

• Like 1

Well how much power does RS-Tuner add? I was guessing at around 10Kw otherwise the money wouldn't be worth it. As I understood it the RS-Clio 172 engine was about 138Kw stock + 10Kw =  148Kw or thereabouts.

I will get it dyno'd and report back. I can only guess at this point because I don't have the car back yet.

Well it looks only started with 124kw.

Not sure it would even gain 10kw on a stock engine. It does increase some mid range power and flatten out the 'power band' feel of the original tune. It also raises the rev limit a little.

I really bought mine for the data and ecu interface.

With a manual gearbox, inlet manifold, exhaust and better intake with RS Tuner max we've seen is around 106kw atw. If you get 150KW I want to talk to Renotech, besides being legends sounds like they might be magicians too.

Additionally, the car will be running a Scenic ECU for the time being which isn't designed for the differences in the Clio motor...

Good luck with the auto gearbox - The DP0/AL4 isn't the strongest thing in the world...

Edited by STALLED

> Good luck with the auto gearbox - The DP0/AL4 isn't the

> strongest thing in the world...

The gearbox doesn't need to be the strongest in the world because it's just a tiny 2L engine with around 120+Kw.

It's possible that it could be one of Australia's fastest Scenics - and that would be just fine.

If somebody thinks they have a Scenic that's faster, just bring it to Wakefield park on Thursday. Let's compare - won't be an issue.

It's possible that it could be one of Australia's fastest Scenics - and that would be just fine.

If somebody thinks they have a Scenic that's faster, just bring it to Wakefield park on Thursday. Let's compare - won't be an issue.

Yeh, don't think there're many other modded Scenics floating around. You should have that titled covered.

I know I'm the stick in the mud here... but I'm still a bit sceptical. It just doesn't seem logical that you'd collect your newly (untested) modified car of any description and be offering to push it's limits the next day at a circuit or drag off competitors in your newly developed category.

Happy to be proven wrong though and keenly awaiting Thursday.

>I know I'm the stick in the mud here... but I'm still a bit sceptical.

> It just doesn't seem logical that you'd collect your newly (untested)

> modified car of any description and be offering to push it's limits

> the next day at a circuit or drag off competitors in your newly

> developed category.
>
> Happy to be proven wrong though and keenly awaiting Thursday.

I haven't been to a track day for years and I've driven past Wakefield Park about 20 times in the last year. So it's something that I've been wanting to do.

How many modded Scenics normally turn up? How hard will the vehicle need to be pushed ? to keep up with all the other Scenics?

Why spend all that money, time and effort and not go to a Social event. That would make even less sense.

Also, thanks to all the people on the forum that have given leads and tips on how to get it all done. It's been awesome - and without peoples generousity it wouldn't have happened. I owe it to the people who've assisted to at least present the vehicle as proof that the upgrades can be done and let people come to their own conclusions.

• Like 1

How many Scenics normally turn up? how many do I have to beat?

Ha ha, fair point. So, it just doesn't seem logical that you'd collect your newly (untested) modified car of any description and be offering to push it's limits the next day at a circuit.

I am sure you will be the only Scenic, let alone modded Scenic at Wakefield.

I for one am just impressed (respect) that it is being / has been done and want to see it, if it is ready.

It doesn't really matter how fast it is... As a road car it is unique and special, as a Wakefield car there is always something better and quicker...

• Like 3

I am sure you will be the only Scenic, let alone modded Scenic at Wakefield.

I for one am just impressed (respect) that it is being / has been done and want to see it, if it is ready.

It doesn't really matter how fast it is... As a road car it is unique and special, as a Wakefield car there is always something better and quicker...

Thanks.

As an update I picked it up yesterday afternoon and I'm pretty happy with it so far.

First impression is that it has more torque than before and overall it just feels "better".

Juian at Renotech has done a fantastic job on getting the new engine in and hooking it up and everything is working fine including speedo, dash, trip computer etc. All working.

For driving around the streets/roads, the new RS-172 Clio Engine seems a better match to the vehicle than the original motor - and there's some big induction noise that wasn't present before. It really sounds like it has a 'real-motor' in there now :)

I'll take it out next time there's a track day.

I'm quite liking it so far. The #1 original issue - the rev limiter being too low - is now gone and it "feels right" being able to rev it out to 7,000 now. Awesome induction noise, sounds like a race-car now.

It's a pretty good sort of conversion to do, I think. It's easier on the highway now - plus around town.

As a Customer of Julian at RenoTech, I'm really happy with the work he's done. If people want to call him a Magician, that's fine. A Superb Technician at the very least would be my words.

• Like 2

> Good to hear... I think not taking it out until you've run it around on the

> road for a while is sensible.

>

> So what was the result with the result with the ecu and

> Auto box etc. Is it all running ok?

I'm told that it's a hybrid system. It has both the Scenic ECU for normal stuff, and the RS-172 to run the Injectors and Timing. So it's dual-ECU.

Apart from extra engine/exhaust noise, the whole vehicle actually feels 'stock' in so far as it doesn't feel overpowered or jerky or unpredictable or there is any sort of engine mismatch. For example, when you mod old Toyota's if you mod the engine, you need to do the brakes and there's a chain reaction of changes and then you end up not liking the car.

In this case it just feels like the Scenic body was designed right from the very start to accept these RS Engines, and everything just got better. It's only a 25% power improvement - so fairly mild.

Except for my wife, the engine sound scares the hibi-gibi's out of her. I'm pretty sure she liked it quiet as before. She's definitely less keen about it than I am :)

> Good to hear... I think not taking it out until you've run it around on the

> road for a while is sensible.

>

> So what was the result with the result with the ecu and

> Auto box etc. Is it all running ok?

I'm told that it's a hybrid system. It has both the Scenic ECU for normal stuff, and the RS-172 to run the Injectors and Timing. So it's dual-ECU.

Apart from extra engine/exhaust noise, the whole vehicle actually feels 'stock' in so far as it doesn't feel overpowered or jerky or unpredictable or there is any sort of engine mismatch. For example, when you mod old Toyota's if you mod the engine, you need to do the brakes and there's a chain reaction of changes and then you end up not liking the car.

In this case it just feels like the Scenic body was designed right from the very start to accept these RS Engines, and everything just got better. It's only a 25% power improvement - so fairly mild.

Except for my wife, the engine sound scares the hibi-gibi's out of her. I'm pretty sure she liked it quiet as before. She's definitely less keen about it than I am :)

It's only the K-Tec intake causing the noise, it doesn't give you any more power, just noise :wink:....... Replace it with a normal airbox (if it will fit) and it will be quiet and she won't even know. Edited by wade

So I got to Wakefield and I was happy that the project was completed. Hopefully next time I can get it on the track and we can see how it goes. (I've just linked to a photo taken by another Member - thanks!)

gallery_17626_22_1551094.jpg

• Like 1