Upgrading a Scenic with RS-Components

clixx-io

> For $1500 you can buy a V8 Commodore wagon that will smash a Scenic.

My Scenic was quite capable of taking on the V8's and Turbo cars but it's not a track car, just road use only. Never got smashed by a V8 or Turbo-6 but I've only have had it a few months and it doesn't get the attraction that my other red turbo car got at the lights. Of course I know there's some very quick V8's out there for which a non-turbo four has no chance.

Update: Car went to the mechanic yesterday morning and I'm looking to pick up the RS-172 Engine this week. The upgrade is set to take place in the coming weeks.

Thanks to the people on this forum that have helped with tips and knowledge and the parts I need to make the project happen.

At this point, the project is proceeding smoothly.

> Well that's 30...... If you could smash v8's and turbo v6's with a normal scenic

> motor you should be able to get 1.12's with a 172 motor :hyper:

Ok - I will try to get everything done and bring it to the track day April 2nd.

Haven't driven on that track before, so I doubt if I'll be pushing it too hard. I don't have any expectations about what time it will do. Don't know the track.

Also remember that it's an Automatic, and it won't be getting a manual gearbox. It's not really intended to be a track car but I'll try tweeking it a bit (tweek #1 will be remove the back seats :) a six-minute job).

At this point, my personal hope would be to get a time better than just one RS-Car on the day - but we'll see. Even that might not be realistic. It does have a lot of body-roll issues and is a bit tricky on corners sometimes.

Auto?

Does the auto have its own ECU in the Scenic? Does the auto ECU intergrate with standard Scenic engine ECU, if so has any thought been put into integrating it to a 172 ECU?

Step #1 is to use the existing Scenic ECU on the RS-172 Engine.

That won't be 'ideal', but we're hoping that it will at least work and save a lot of "complicated-issues". If it doesn't run that well I'm prepared to accept it until the issues are fixed with sensor-level convertors and so forth.

According to the dyno charts I've seen for the 172, they have the same power as the standard F4R up to 5800rpm. So the standard Scenic ECU will go to there. After that, I won't be able to access additional power, but at least I'll be able to drive the car.

After it's running, I should be able to introduce the 172 ECU in parallel sometime later, but that won't be this months priority.

Obviously, if I really like the conversion and taking it to the track, I'll probably buy another and do a proper manual version if all goes well. Way too early to tell though.

Missing out on a lot with a 172 motor if it's limited to 5800......

I've been looking at options for my mx5 and Jcar sell some cheap modules (bout 60-80 bucks each...... You also need the control interface which is $80 as well) which allow you to dynamically adjust the timing and fueling...... If they can override the renault ecu then you might be sweet......do a search

I am not intimately familiar so there are many assumptions...

assuming the Scenic has electronic shift solenoids in transmission / ECU for transmission control it would need to integrate with engine ECU for various parameters e.g. Road speed, engine speed, throttle pedal and throttle body position, Engine load (map sensor) for example.

With a schematic for the Scenic standard engine ECU and transmission ECU it should be easy enough to determine the compatability / integration to a 172 engine ECU.

Even then if it can be made to work (auto with 172 ECU) the transmission ECU will likely need reprogramming / reflashing, or fooling, if possible, to make use of 172's greater rev range.

I.e. The standard Scenic transmission's ECU is probably programmed to shift much lower in the rev range than where a 172 with an auto should, at full throttle.

I believe some after market ECUs can control automatic transmission functions as well, such as shift solenoids, lock up torque converters, etc. may be worth considering vs. reflashing, or fooling standard transmission ECU.

Edited by itsdamo

• 2 weeks later...

As an update, last night I collected the Rs-172 Engine from Nemz with ECU. So it's off for installation into the Scenic this week.

It started off that I simply wanted to replace the inlet and outlet manifolds with RS-Parts. Now thanks to the kind and helpful people here, I've got a whole RS Engine and ECU and exhaust manifold - I'm so pleased.

So at this point, the project is going better than I expected. Thanks all.

• Like 4

Are  you still on track for a Wakefield debut?

Hopefully.

It's all in the hands of the mechanic now. To do the install and figure everything out.

Pictures: http://ozrenaultsport.invisionzone.com/index.php?/gallery/album/27-upgrade-of-the-scenic-to-rs/

• 3 weeks later...

I'll go to the bank and have a tenner changed into 5c pieces for the occasion :P

I'll give you 5 cents towards it if we ever meet ... 'cause I too remain skeptical that someone would go to so much effort and expense.

Congratulations on 5000 (and two) posts!!!!  :headbang:

The upgrade is proceeding ahead smoothly.

gallery_20348_27_78427.jpg

This is the old engine being removed, and the RS-172 ready to go in:

gallery_20348_27_1765.jpg

• Like 3

Will be a cool sleeper once it's up and running. Manual 'box would be better though!

Will be a cool sleeper once it's up and running. Manual 'box would be better though!

I have to leave the Auto there because of my wife who needs to be able to drive it and she doesn't have a manual license. Otherwise it would be manual.

It is used more as a city and highway car - take the wife to the shopping centre. The intention was never to build a "Scenic for the track". Might happen later - who knows :)

Whats the kerb weight of a Scenic?

They're not very heavy. I think somewhere about 1300kg. About 100kg is definitely in the rear seats, so without those it's probably about 1200kg. I remember comparing the weight of the Scenic with my old mechanic one time and we saw that it's lighter than an RS-265 - or that's what we commented about anyway.

Not super-heavy, and not super-light either. It won't be as fast as the "real" Clio RS-172 but I'm more interested in how it compares to a 2.4L Honda HRV/CRV VTECs etc.

Will RS suspension fit on it?

I'd lose the bodyroll.. this is the luxo-barge edition.

100kg in the back seat ...... Wow they must be pure lead.....strip those bad boys out !!

If you were smashing WRX's before you'll be destroying Supercars now !!!

I don't remember ever saying anything about WRX's and this car. They don't even notice an old white-refridgerator like this Scenic and I don't mind that at all. :)

Haven't weighed the seats, but they're leather with heavy metal frames. They could be anywhere between 20k or 30kg each and there are three of them.

>It's with the dragging off M3 comments. :)

He may have been trying to set up launch control: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSrwOnzy668 which was taking some time, and gave up :)

Meanwhile, back on the Scenic, the RS-172 engine is in...

gallery_20348_27_42990.jpg

You did say this back on the first page about the stock Scenic :wink:

But so far so good. Performance is up close to some WRX's and an M3 from takeoff. But some worked Turbo Forester smashed me (by a little bit) so I can see there is more potential. And I haven't really even done much yet.