New owner with a question...

zubriggen

Hi,

New owner of a second hand renault megane cup trophy White 2012, 21400km, GPS, Glass roof. Owned it for a month. Great car so far except...

I have recently noticed hundreds of tiny little dark brown specks all over the car paintwork and bumpers (more towards the rear, present on roof and bonnet, wings)

I took it to a detailer and they suspected tree fallout, this is plausable, however my other car has been parked in the same spot for around 5 years with no evidence of the little dots. They are really hard to remove and you can feel them on the surface. I clay bar cleaned the whole car and eventually got them off and waxed.

However, the day after cleaning I did a 50km drive and noticed some of the dots had returned, at this stage isolated to the rear hatch door, rear bumper and spoiler. The rear also had black residue/film on it. Im now assuming that the dots are metallic deposits from the exhaust or maybe the brakes ? Renault dealer says he has never heard of it. Anybody out there had similar issues ?

On a separate issue with the white paint, has anybody had issues with bird poo attacking the paint more than usual ?

Colin

I have experienced something similar in the past, and believe that it was some unfinished/fresh road that I had driven over that caused the spotting. Was constrained the the same areas that yours is, typically in the areas where wind swirl would be high, as if it was picked up off the road.

Welcome.

Could be tar spots. I have them too on my white car.

If they are tar spots, eucalyptus oil removes them with ease. Just spray lightly onto a microfibre towel and wipe the spots. Don't try to rub vigorously to get them off or you'll end up scratching the paint.

Hi mate,

I own a 2012 rs250 Cup in glacier white.

I have had the same problem since the day I took it home.

Very hard to remove.

And you might see it in the gap between the rear hatch glass and the paint work on the bottom.

I found after many arguments with my dealer that this is a common problem.

I looked at several different meg 3s and they all have it, some worse then others. at one time I thought it was rust but it's not.

To this day I'm not sure what causes it.

Had exactly the same on ours Colin. When I took it to Dan he had a look and said it could have been fallout from when it was sitting on the wharf under the protection nets. Anyway after he worked his magic they are pretty well gone to the naked eye. If you're in Melbourne highly recommend giving him a call and he will bring it back better then when it was delivered.

Hi,

Interesting feedback, thanks. I managed to remove all of the specks with a clay bar, took a little while. Guess what? They are back! I have done very little driving and car has been under cover, it is bizarre.

Question for Kaesh, did the dealer know why it was common? Only on white paint?

There must be away of determining what the matter is? I do not suspect tar, the specks are so fine it's almost atomised. I did put it down to exhaust or brake dust, my brakes are a tad rusty and squeak. As its all over the car this would make sense over exhaust. Maybe different brake pads? The real question mark is why did they seemingly get worse after not driving it for a few days ?

One of the strangest car problems I have encountered!

yeah that is weird how NOT driving it made them come back and worse.

hmm maybe we aren't speaking of the same thing as mine appear in the exact same areas can you take a pic and post it up or email to me and i'll compare it to what i saw.It is not only white cars though ive seen from lunar grey to blue to yellow to black.

I would take a pic and post but my car is out of action at the moment.

Dealer did not know what was causing it one minute they blamed it on hail nets at their holding yard the next it was because i had removed my back muffler then they said it was due to the warf that all meganes come from.so unfortunately they couldn't give me a reason nor want to help.

Hi,

Interesting feedback, thanks. I managed to remove all of the specks with a clay bar, took a little while. Guess what? They are back! I have done very little driving and car has been under cover, it is bizarre.

Question for Kaesh, did the dealer know why it was common? Only on white paint?

There must be away of determining what the matter is? I do not suspect tar, the specks are so fine it's almost atomised. I did put it down to exhaust or brake dust, my brakes are a tad rusty and squeak. As its all over the car this would make sense over exhaust. Maybe different brake pads? The real question mark is why did they seemingly get worse after not driving it for a few days ?

One of the strangest car problems I have encountered!

If it is brake debris sticking to the paint, it may take a couple of days for the material to oxidise sufficiently to make it visible, hence why it reappeared whilst not being driven. :?:

Look into a product called (I think) Iron-x (?) it's specially formulated to deal with brake residue, and turns a bright colour when it comes into contact with it. Could be useful for elimination of causes, and dealing with it if it's indeed brake dust.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read the product specs, but just make sure it doesn't strip protctive layers of wax or sealant from paintwork.

I have the same issue. A weekly wash followed by a coat of gloss boost makes any marks easier to remove without the need of other cleaners. I also have 3 coats of full metal jacket which is a huge help.

Having said that, its due for a clay, polish and seal in the coming months.