First time Renault, Clio Sport, hot hatch owner

rudz13

Hi all,

as the subject says, this is my first foray into the world of renault sport. I had been looking for a 2006 Mini Cooper S (probably sacrilege to say that here?) as I am a classic mini owner as well, but in a moment of madness bought my red 2008 Clio Sport 197. i have only had it a few weeks now and love it already, although, as i have read some of your posts i have found many little foibles of the oddities of the vehicle (rattles, lag at low revs etc).

I would love to know more about the short life of my car. i think that it was originally sold in Melbourne in late 2009. i understand that it has spent a couple of years in Canberra (owner first name Gary?) then back to sydney around the castle hill area. i bought it from a second hand dealership in northern suburbs of sydney. i would be happy to provide more details that i have via PM if anyone can help me track it a bit further. i am currently in Canberra myself.

I need to track down a jack / tyre change / tyre repair kit as this was all missing when the car was purchased. I would also like to know who you good people would suggest i get to service the car (i have already had a minor run in with a dealership here - partly their / partly my fault) here in Canberra, but if not possibly in Sydney. Are there any performance places in Canberra that i can trust? Also, I am trying to track down a unit (upgrade) so that i can plug in an ipod nano via USB to play music as oppose to carrying around CD's.

Lastly, is anyone on here a member of a Renault club in my area? I was completely unaware of the following that the clio has and have not noticed many around - but glad to see there is such a thriving community on this forum.

Thanks for all of your advice in advance,

Nathan

Welcome, Nathan. No shame in understanding the virtues of a MINI Cooper S on this site. A fine choice of vehicle. Pleased that you went for the Clio RS though. They're pretty special.

I'll leave it to some of the others on here to answer your questions.

I too own a red 2008 197 and I can answer some of your questions. These cars did not come with a jack ex factory. They are available on Ebay UK for a bit over $120 inc freight (last time I checked). You can buy the puncture repair kit from Renault but any tyre inflation kit from an Auto store will do. If you want to get the car serviced - try RenoTech in Sydney. they are renault trained mechanics and many members on this forum use them (me included). their details are listed on this forum. Enjoy your 197 and welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the replies so far guys, love the black wheels on yours there speka! when i bought mine it had wheel spacers on (which had to be removed here in ACT to be registered) that made it look a bit tougher with the wider stance! Have been looking at putting black wheels on my 67 mini to improve the appearance.

i will look into the jack - strange they have a space for it and the tools in the boot (although im finding a few strange things about my clio!!) and pick up a tyre inflation kit soon, dont want to be caught out.

Cheers again!

Welcome to the forum!

There are a few of us in Canberra now. Been a while since we had a social drive but there was the Trackday at Wakefield last week sponsored by Franck and his workshop at Gosford.

Barry runs the Renault car club of Canberra and they do have regular events and socials

There will be a few clio's at the hillclimb at fairbairn park next weekend for the 2 lap event. Ill be competing so feel free to visit

It's off Sutton road just next door to the driver training centre

Servicing I use alpine motors in dundas court Phillip

Or when time permits I try get to Paul V in Sydney. He is extremely thorough and for a new purchase would be a worthwhile visit. You will pay accordingly for the extra time spent.

I haven't used Rolfe Renault dealership servicing other than buying parts.

How long have you had the red 197 cause I've seen one with L plates a lot lately that I don't remember before

Thanks for the welcome and the heads up in Alpine Motors jsr. would love to have been able to pop out this weekend but christmas duties call!

only had my 197 a month now... definitely not me as im well out of L plates! Mine has faux carbon fibre wrap roof.

I would love to meet up with someone in Canberra who has the same model as me, just to compare what mine does and doesnt have, if it is driving as well as it should be etc...

i will look into the jack - strange they have a space for it and the tools in the boot (although im finding a few strange things about my clio!!) and pick up a tyre inflation kit soon, dont want to be caught out.

A member on here bought a second hand jack and, from memory, it fit into the space in the tool kit. Worth a shot...

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24257&p=374492#p374492