Renault Megane sport 225 review.

Reid-Ren

Hey guys I have been looking at the renault sport 225 for a long time now and I wanted to get some real life anecdotes about other peoples experience with reliability and servicing and the cost of running the car and maybe what are some easy tell signs of a good or bad megane. Also if there are some dodgy servicing places around. Thanks you in advance and sorry if this is a bit unusual but I am really interested in the car but want to find out more from those who love them the most.

Thanks Reid-Ren.

From my limited ownership and experience:

1) Reliability - so far, so good! the car has some niggling issues (air bag warning light on, cruise not working, diagnosis steering wheel clock spring assembly), but otherwise is rock solid. does require engine mounts but these seem to be a consumable on renaults! Also the window regulators are susceptible to failure due to not being adequately waterproofed so make sure all windows go up and down. New ones can be pricey.

2) Servicing costs - not the cheapest, but not the most expensive. Not had anything done yet though, just from what I've researched. I like to do most of my own servicing, especially if the car is out of warranty. Our Nissan X-trail has been back to the dealer for 1 service in 9 years!

3) Check for smoke on boost (turbo fail), check when the timing belt was last changed, and also gearbox/synchros (2nd and 3rd), and clutch. My clutch bite point is quite high but I read this is normal for RS cars. someone with more knowledge should be able to confirm that!

We don't seem to get the same issues that they get in the UK due to climate -> eg front hub carrier bearings (not wheel bearings) failing..

If you update with your location someone here will be able to point you to a reputable Renault service expert. Paul V in Sydney, Auto Paris in Melbourne. not sure who else is around!

I bought mine sight unseen but got it for a good price so was willing to take a risk on it.. Its at 161,000km and drives very well, pulls hard and sounds great. Even with its faults its one of the most fun cars I've driven! Makes me smile every time I look at it. don't be too afraid of the unknown!

Oh, if it's a phase one you are looking at, make sure it is the Cup version, handling was a little iffy on non-cup cars. Phase two doesn't matter so much whether you get the sport/cup/lux etc. as handling was updated on all phase two cars.

You can tell a phase one Cup car as it has xenon projector headlights. non cup has standard headlights.

Phase two cars have an updated front end - the grilles dip down towards the middle, the phase one grilles are horizontal across the top.

Price range for Phase 1 cups seems to be ~$10,000, and phase 2 around $14,000. Not sure what they sell for though as they've all been on carsales for a while now!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also in the same boat.

Out of interest, what year does the phase 1 to 2 transition? I'm particularly looking at cars after 2006 - so I assume they are all phase 2?

I note that the non cup has less attractive wheels as standard - but I assume the cup wheels could be fitted instead?

Also - anyone can advise how much softer the non-cup is? I have just taken a mates cup for a spin - it is rather firm. He came from a Golf GTi and it is one of the things he misses most (every-day comfort).

Thanks!

Out of interest, what year does the phase 1 to 2 transition? I'm particularly looking at cars after 2006 - so I assume they are all phase 2?

I note that the non cup has less attractive wheels as standard - but I assume the cup wheels could be fitted instead?

Also - anyone can advise how much softer the non-cup is? I have just taken a mates cup for a spin - it is rather firm. He came from a Golf GTi and it is one of the things he misses most (every-day comfort).

Thanks!

I believe phase 2 is post 2006, not 100% sure.

Cup wheels will certainly fit a non-cup (have done this before).

Non-cup is noticeably softer, I'd really like something right in between the two.

Thanks!

Mine is a non-cup. I haven't driven a cup but owned a clio cup and found that a bit too firm for me.

My Megane is OK comfort-wise, could have been even a little softer for my liking as I use it daily. I don't track the car or drive like a maniac, so prefer a little more comfort over slightly better handling.

As for the wheels, the only difference in the cup is that they're one inch bigger and are darker in colour ("anthracite"). And yes, I agree they look better.

Thanks for the advice Xeno182 ... The one I'm looking at is a 2007 also.

I like the spoke pattern better on the Cup wheels - the standard ones are just too chunky.

Anything I should know about the interior of these, or other things to look our for?

Anything I should know about the interior of these, or other things to look our for?

The interior of mine is fine, no issues (except the gear lever plastic surround which broke a clip and I just glued back). Also a couple of rattles which I've fixed thanks to some WD40.

The one common problem many on here have reported is the window regulator. Mine went a few months ago and had to be replaced for approx. $400. Other than that.....touching wood.....all is good. It has been a great car.

Info about my experience with a phase 1 non-cup of 2004 in the topic of my signature.

Mildly modified from standard with some future mods planned so perhaps not much help from a standard point of view excpet to say no reliability issues to date. I would say largely due to regular servicing by respected mechanics.

Thanks!

Mine is a non-cup. I haven't driven a cup but owned a clio cup and found that a bit too firm for me.

My Megane is OK comfort-wise, could have been even a little softer for my liking as I use it daily. I don't track the car or drive like a maniac, so prefer a little more comfort over slightly better handling.

Don't drive hard, never track your car and the non cup is a bit firm for you...... Sounds like you need a corolla, better resale as well :wink:

Don't drive hard, never track your car and the non cup is a bit firm for you...... Sounds like you need a corolla, better resale as well :wink:

I said I don't drive like a maniac. If you do that's your choice. Have you had your licence more often than you haven't?

And I'm a bit old to go tracking my cars, that's more for you younger folk. Some of us have families and kids to cart around without making them throw up in the back seat.

But thanks for your suggestion Speed Racer. Don't you have anything more useful to write on these forums?

• 2 weeks later...

Had mine for a year now, couple of little rattles but nothing major. The drivers side door wouldn't lock so I had to pull the door apart and fix it. I've pulled the interior out a few times when it's gotten soaked.......look for blockages to the scuttle holes in front and the air con drain underneath , they're now unblocked and it hasn't been wet since even with lots of rain recently. Other than that I love it, great car to drive everyday (unlike my Evo8), fun and looks great. Get out there and get yourself one! :wink: