New to Renault with a GT220

Staity

Hi all

Im a new addition to the Renault world having picked up a GT220 3 weeks ago. Gotta say i was very impressed with the ride and handling especially on the rough country roads. This being the first turbo car ive owned i am very happy with the performance. Torque steer is a new concept im getting used to as i only owned RWD cars beforehand but thats part of the fun i guess. Still getting used to it but am loving every drive i go for...

Welcome and congrats!

What colour did you go for?

Ended up with Malta Blue. I was actually wanting the Pearl White but the minister for War and Finance (aka the wife) insisted on the Blue as it "looks Purple in the right light". Considering its my car and she wont be driving it (her choice not my insistence) I thought the least I could do is let her pick the colour. But I'm still happy with the Blue it was my 2nd choice.

Great choice and you won't go wrong with the car in blue. It's a great looking (and performing) car which will hopefully serve you well.

Welcome to the forum which is one of the best I've been a member of because everyone here is truly passionate about their car and are willing to share their ideas and experiences fully. This forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Enjoy!

Riv

• 1 month later...

Received my GT220 in Malta Blue last week (white was my second choice). Fun hey! You thinking bout any modifications? Whilst I like the responsiveness- am always searching for more power and am seriously considering an ECU map to a reported 300hp- if the potential is there might as well use it right??? Provided insurance and warranty aren't an issue, if I spend $1000 (max) on a retune then I really question if you could get a better new car for $35k! Being a 6 speed I do find I run out of first gear a little quick and then it actually not only redlines but de-powers- need to adapt to that. Otherwise- loving it!

Good morning,

I also bought a GT220, Pearl White (hehe).

Would you know how i can go about tuning the vehicle to the same KW as RS265?

Thanks.

Tony

You just need an ecu remap. It'll effectively void your powertrain warranty though.

• 3 weeks later...

Mods arent really on the radar yet, still busy finding the time to drive the thing. An ECU remap down the track may be an option but ill have to seriously think about it (and wait til warranty is over). Its a fantastic engine as it is, I reckon it would be alot better if they had of gone for the 265 mapping instead would have been a real fun car, but i suppose they had their reasons to leave it at 220, Still... no complaints when she comes on BOOST!!! :)

No, RS stuff won't fit unless you go Perfohub. BUT a GT220 is just a Megane GTLine with a real motor gearbox and brakes. :wink:

The UK market is full of options to lower the MK3 wagons.

I considered lowering briefly but asides from looks there's no real reason to do it, in fact it will most likely upset the characteristic I love most about the car.

Unfortunately for the Mk3 Renault switched strut foot design which means that the Petfohub struts are unique in design compared to the "regular" cars

OK that makes sense. Can't imagine lowering a 2 litre wagon with a CVT box... clearly the poms feel the need. All the better for us here if the uprated suspension slips under a GT220. I do think the car needs lowering though. I wonder if the spring rates would be OK as they'd be based on the 'normale' wagon.

I think the setup on the GT220 comes into it's own out of the city, on the rural roads it's really good and just doesn't bottom out and crash about.

For those considering lowering remember the GT220 is on the "Sports" setup which is shared with the GTLine. They're about 15mm lower than the "regular" Pommy base models so factor that in.

I'll be putting online the full diagrams, parts lists and explanations of doing a Perfohub swap in the coming weeks.

Personally I'd rather go for a LSD, (via a gearbox swap from a RS265 wreck).

Will include info and parts details on the LSD stuff too.

• Like 1

An LSD is kind in a different $ budget bracket to a set of springs, surely even with a donor wreck.

I'm pretty sure that the GT220 suspension setup is the next level up from GT Line. Not sure if it's RS Sport though. I know someone who can probably tell me for sure so will report back. Saying that, I guess it must be the smaller diameter wheels but the GT LIne actually looks more 'stanced' than the GT220 IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Did anyone else notice on the Aussie Renault site you could choose from a Standard GT220, Trophy GT220 and Trophy+ GT220?

I actually went to a dealer and they did not believe me until they actually looked themselves. I would have been very insterested in a Trophy+ version but there are no more around (from what this dealer told me). It is basically the race kitted (chasis, suspension) 265 and the engine is not detuned.

Personally I think slightly lowered with some debatched subaru STI wheels and it would look very mean. Throw in the Recaro seats and an after market sound system (no fail 30w speakers thanks) and you have a 265 that weighs give or take 100kg heavier (without a person). Would still be a mean track day car.

Did anyone else notice on the Aussie Renault site you could choose from a Standard GT220, Trophy GT220 and Trophy+ GT220?

I actually went to a dealer and they did not believe me until they actually looked themselves. I would have been very insterested in a Trophy+ version but there are no more around (from what this dealer told me). It is basically the race kitted (chasis, suspension) 265 and the engine is not detuned.

Personally I think slightly lowered with some debatched subaru STI wheels and it would look very mean. Throw in the Recaro seats and an after market sound system (no fail 30w speakers thanks) and you have a 265 that weighs give or take 100kg heavier (without a person). Would still be a mean track day car.

Where abouts? http://www.renault.com.au/finding-my-re ... 0/overview

I see no information relating to a GT220 Trophy.

FYI, the '220' relates to the power in BHP, so it would seem odd that they would sell a GT220 with 265BHP. Further to this, the GT220 is based upon the garden variety wagon, not the RS. Thus, it is not available with the RS front end. It makes do with regular hubs, diff, and brakes.

There's no such thing. If there was such thing as a RS265 wagon, I'd have one in my garage already.

The GT220 (GT-line, not Renaultsport) came out here in GT220 and GT220 Premium spec, with the differences being restricted to trim and equipment.

Where abouts? http://www.renault.com.au/finding-my-re ... 0/overview

I see no information relating to a GT220 Trophy.

FYI, the '220' relates to the power in BHP, so it would seem odd that they would sell a GT220 with 265BHP. Further to this, the GT220 is based upon the garden variety wagon, not the RS. Thus, it is not available with the RS front end. It makes do with regular hubs, diff, and brakes.

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is clearly listed. Either way, I have read through the spec sheets and while it does not have the "exact" front end, the rest of the car is the same (with better luxuries) than the Megane 265 which includes "hubs, diff and brakes".

Mhm, I would've traded my diesel 175 straight up for the wagon (my first car was an outback)

megane_wagon.png

That's a comparison page of the GT220 wagon, RS 265 Cup and RS 265 Trophy+.

Again, there is no such thing as a RS265 Sportswagon. If there was, I'd own one.

If you open the specification PDF on that page you've screenshot, you'll see the 4 types of Megane Wagon specs available.

That's a comparison page of the GT220 wagon, RS 265 Cup and RS 265 Trophy+.

Again, there is no such thing as a RS265 Sportswagon. If there was, I'd own one.

If you open the specification PDF on that page you've screenshot, you'll see the 4 types of Megane Wagon specs available.

Then why does the wagon specification comparison list a Trophy+ version? Under the normal Megane RS section there is no Trophy+?, Just Cup, Cup Premium, RB8 and Sports (even in the PDF it is only Cup and Cup Premium).

I think I have seen one of these 265 wagons, looked mega on Steev RB8 rims in wagon body. Any dealers still got stock? Surely this would be a sweat market position? Does it have perfohub?

Cheers

Chris

Then why does the wagon specification comparison list a Trophy+ version? Under the normal Megane RS section there is no Trophy+?, Just Cup, Cup Premium, RB8 and Sports (even in the PDF it is only Cup and Cup Premium).

I can only suggest that whoever updates the website has missed a bit. The facelifted RS265 comes in Cup & Cup Premium spec and the Trophy+ is from the gen 1 265.

But hey, don't take my word for it - try a Google search for RS265 wagon :news:

A dude in France (actually two now) have built their own - the GT220 is exactly as described by others and I can assure you there's no magic GT265 Perfohub and LSD wagon in AU.

You can have one, I can send you exact parts lists, etc but expect about $10-15000 to change hands to have it done. That's LSD Perfohub and tuning. If you can't change to Recaros as the side airbag systems are not approved - well you can change the seats and plug them in, and they'll work but it's not in any way legal as the bags aren't complied in the wagon shell (semantic argument I know).

Also you have to run Steevs or similar offset wheels at front to get back under the guards.

You have to get the electric rear calipers to work on the different rear rotor/hubs which the other converts in France hadn't needed - some euro GT220s are conventional handbrake our use the powered park brake.

You can adapt the rear brakes from a Scenic on but I'm unsure you're going to get the track increase needed, so then you need to run spacers (illegal) or have the RS265 offset compatible front wheels with the regular GT220 offset rears.

It would be "easier" to have rear hubs custom made to get around this, at least they can be engineered.

All in all not as easy as it sounds unless you have $$$

I'll have full diagrams and parts lists on my blog shortly, currently interpreted around 500 components in the GT220 stock front and starting the same for the RS265.

Then we cross reference what's common (mostly fasteners) and finally determine if we can (safely and legally) adapt stuff like the lower arms to allow the stabiliser rod to bolt on, rather than use a RS265 arm which has a threaded mount.

To be honest the swaps I've seen were subframe swaps and super easy, but in France a front and rear RS265 subframe set with brakes and suspension and under 5000km is about EU2000... and "common".

We have to think harder (right down to what other Cup chassis bits can be used from Meg2 or Clio3 if any at all.

And after all that what we really need is an LSD :)

That's going to be < $5k well spent.

I need a money tree...

Nice write up, Aaron. Any links to the guys in France who've done the swap?

Sorry to burst your bubble but it is clearly listed. Either way, I have read through the spec sheets and while it does not have the "exact" front end, the rest of the car is the same (with better luxuries) than the Megane 265 which includes "hubs, diff and brakes".

Mhm, I would've traded my diesel 175 straight up for the wagon (my first car was an outback)

megane_wagon.png

Sorry mate, you are mistaken. There is no RS265 spec Megane wagon, there is a bug in the website data. Go further down in the comparison and look at the wheelbase. 2703 for the GT220 versus 2636 for the RS265. Further to this, at the very bottom you have load volume. GT220 is 1600 litres, and 344 for RS265. Bit of a small wagon with only 344 litres don't you think?