GT220

MBGT220

Hi Guys

New to this forum and just bought a GT220 premium and take delivery of it in a couple of weeks and just wondering if somebody could advise about some modifications that I am keen to undertake once I take delivery.

Brakes do the front rs 265 discs and calipers bolt straight in ?

Has anybody done a retune or chip on these as yet and if so what were the results ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Matt

Quick answer is No.

You need the Perfohub uprights, the various stabiliser rods that lock everything, plus there's a theory about tie rods being different or the adjusters, not 100% on needing driveshafts. There's differences in wheel offset, so your front track will be significantly wider unless you use Cup offset wheels. Depending on where you measure and who measures you will fail roadworthy for track increase (and it can't be engineered) without a wheel swap.

Rear track isn't affected so the wheels then require different offsets or spacers (illegal). Electric handbrake makes rear swap less feasible.

However it all bolts in.

Suggest buying a wreck for parts and swapping in the LSD box too.

• 2 weeks later...

Aaron thanks for the info, was more so hopping to be able to do a straight swap which is a shame so that's probably going to have to wait a little while as I am currently building two other projects from bare chassis so don't really have the time for those let alone another one.

I'm down in Tas and seeing there are only two of these down here nobody has any experience with them, I've noticed discussion about tunes on the forum who would you recommend for a remote re tune preferably one that can be switched between the factory tune and the performance tune so to speak.

Also happy to do any bolt on type performance modifications that don't need any body modifications are there any that these engines respond well to especially in light of retuning

Thanks

Matt

Just loving my GT220! I have had it since Dec. Thought I was really going to miss the RS 225 Cup that i traded in (plus also sold by 76 911 at around the same time - so feeling extra sad!), but not the case. Enjoying the extra load space (three kids and all their stuff!) and the exhaust note (do miss the 225 whistle, but enough low growl from the GT220 to compensate, especially when doubling on the down change).

I too get the odd cough and splutter on cold morning start ups, but not all the time and not too worried.

Not too worried about the sound system either, as I don't play it that hard, background music really...actually enjoy listening the car!

It look great (gets lots of comments from general public after parking it in the street) and even gotten used to the ride height, which I thought initially was a bit high - maybe it has settled in.

Have taken it for a few trips down the coast and handles like a dream, however not quite the turn-in as the 225 and do feel the extra length and weight at rear which unsettles it slightly.

Will take it to the track later in the year once it has a few more km and after first service. Then can really feel the difference between it and the 225!

Mike

Henk (RSTuner) is your best bet for mail order tunes, basically the GT220 will pick up around 80hp (give or take) as the engine is a RS265 engine with what amounts to a slightly lower amount of peak boost that is tapered off more readily.

Henk has a good reputation and thanks to his recent trip to Sydney and Melbourne doing tunes in summer he will naturally apply his skills even better to suit our (poor/inconsistent) fuel and wide temperature ranges.

His tunes DO lock the ECU to his tool only, and also prevent the dealer tool from overwriting etc.

This is very detectable and as such will void warranty in engine & electronic controls.

Not saying it to discourage, but rather to inform. It's a common practice and Henks not doing anything wrong (he's stopping other people from "lifting" his tunes).

• 2 weeks later...
Just loving my GT220! I have had it since Dec. Thought I was really going to miss the RS 225 Cup that i traded in (plus also sold by 76 911 at around the same time - so feeling extra sad!), but not the case. Enjoying the extra load space (three kids and all their stuff!) and the exhaust note (do miss the 225 whistle, but enough low growl from the GT220 to compensate, especially when doubling on the down change).

I too get the odd cough and splutter on cold morning start ups, but not all the time and not too worried.

Not too worried about the sound system either, as I don't play it that hard, background music really...actually enjoy listening the car!

It look great (gets lots of comments from general public after parking it in the street) and even gotten used to the ride height, which I thought initially was a bit high - maybe it has settled in.

Have taken it for a few trips down the coast and handles like a dream, however not quite the turn-in as the 225 and do feel the extra length and weight at rear which unsettles it slightly.

Will take it to the track later in the year once it has a few more km and after first service. Then can really feel the difference between it and the 225!

Mike

Here are a couple of photos of her :D

post-10564-142138609955_thumb.jpg

post-10564-142138609985_thumb.jpg

...i might just add that the dealer provided the number for the renault assist when I called them, and the tow truck arrived within 20min. Dealer called 1hr after car delivered to them to say that replacement part arrives at 3.30pm today, but that car not ready til tomorrow...which suits me. Only issue that replacement car not available today, however not needed anyway. Happy so far!

10000km on mine and no real issues that aren't endemic Renaultsport issues. The cosmetic things have been resolved promptly and effectively by my dealer.

Did have clutched checked at the service because it has sometimes felt like it wasn't fully disengaging, but no faults found. I do think it may be me being out of sync with auto start though, ie I'm already starting to release the clutch as is only just getting to idle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD