Useless Facts - stuff you learn AFTER you own the car

Teki04

one cool thing that I liked was as I jacked up the front wheel, the entire chasis was so strong/stiff, it lifted the rear... :) I could of changed BOTH tyres at once :)

no e ? this i gotta try to see for myself !

One feature that freaked me out as well when i was trying new wheel set ups..... and you can change two wheels at once!!!!

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chilled glove box. Really works. I put a couple of cans of V in there on the way to the coast and forgot about them. Found them 1 hr later and they were ice cold!

is this a later mod or do all the clios have this! i didnt know! does it work off the air-con?

sam

one cool thing that I liked was as I jacked up the front wheel, the entire chasis was so strong/stiff, it lifted the rear... :) I could of changed BOTH tyres at once :)

no e ? this i gotta try to see for myself !

One feature that freaked me out as well when i was trying new wheel set ups..... and you can change two wheels at once!!!!

I rotated my wheels (back to front) this weekend. What a spin out... Now thats what i call a stiffy!!!

RSClio + Flex = 0

to add to this, just found out yesterday that there's a refelection of the gear selection diagram on the dash that shows on the front of the windscreen... in case you didn't know your gears... o_0

Really? Where?

The chilled glove box. Really works. I put a couple of cans of V in there on the way to the coast and forgot about them. Found them 1 hr later and they were ice cold!

is this a later mod or do all the clios have this! i didnt know! does it work off the air-con?

sam

I have it in the 182 ,, there is a little round vent which is closed normally, down the back of the glovebox

towards the center console side..

It feeds of the main vent.. so if you cold air it will cool whats in there or heat it..

had some frozen CDs the other day! :)

Good: Auto-lock at around 10kmh, switchable. Chilled glove box. Wine holders. Cheese holder (under the passenger seat ... oh, how french!). Usable auto window up/down ("click" it up or down and it goes all the way, hold it for more than a fraction of a second and it moves until you let go ... nice). Auto-headlights that can be turned off. Auto-wiper that is off by default - took me a while to figure this out. Behind-the-wheel audio controller (I only recently found the little "wheel" at the back to change stations, tracks, etc. Much nicer than on-the-wheel types). Driver's side mirror with the curly end, lets you see if there's someone beside you without turning around ... nice. Glove box has a nice sunglasses and license/fuel card holder.

Bad: Cup holders suck - only good for cans, not water bottles or powerade etc. Space behind the park-brake is wasted - could have had a single cup hoder for the strangely shaped cups. Ashtray is a weird shape; I usually keep coin change in them, but it's a pain to remove coins from from the RSC ashtray. And the little coin-holder space on the other side of the wheel is not closed, so coins fall out all the time (over 4000rpm anyway :lol: ). Everything is a***-backwards - manual key entry is on the passenger side (D'OH!), the wipers go backward, the indicator/light switch on the left, etc. (though, this is standard on all euro cars). Key is a pain to insert - dunno why, but I *still* have trouble putting the key it. It has to be at a specific angle or no go. The stereo is nothing special, and I have a rear speaker that vibrates the plastics at certain frequencies creating an annoying buzz. A little bluetac should fix it. The speed limiter changes the acceleration behaviour in wierd ways before you're even close to the limit - makes it a bit of a pain, cause you gotta turn it on and off all the time. The bloody "spare wheel in two cans" doesn't fit in the back with the jack. Renault dealers are the worst f*cks I've ever dealt with - I've bought a lemon from a skuzzy used car dealer and have had better customer service than these losers. Oh, and they filled the tank with 95 octane fuel when I picked it up, the cheap bastards! Anyway, don't get me started on the dealers...

That's all I can think of for now. 8)

BTW, does anyone know how to attach the "net" thingie for the boot?

I love the fact that the wipers are a*** about. There is no gathering of water down the A-pillar on the drivers side, thus distorting the view...

I also like the heated side mirrors for frosty / cold mornings.. :)

Good: Auto-lock at around 10kmh, switchable. Chilled glove box. Wine holders. Cheese holder (under the passenger seat ... oh, how french!). Usable auto window up/down ("click" it up or down and it goes all the way, hold it for more than a fraction of a second and it moves until you let go ... nice). Auto-headlights that can be turned off. Auto-wiper that is off by default - took me a while to figure this out. Behind-the-wheel audio controller (I only recently found the little "wheel" at the back to change stations, tracks, etc. Much nicer than on-the-wheel types). Driver's side mirror with the curly end, lets you see if there's someone beside you without turning around ... nice. Glove box has a nice sunglasses and license/fuel card holder.

Bad: Cup holders suck - only good for cans, not water bottles or powerade etc. Space behind the park-brake is wasted - could have had a single cup hoder for the strangely shaped cups. Ashtray is a weird shape; I usually keep coin change in them, but it's a pain to remove coins from from the RSC ashtray. And the little coin-holder space on the other side of the wheel is not closed, so coins fall out all the time (over 4000rpm anyway :lol: ). Everything is a***-backwards - manual key entry is on the passenger side (D'OH!), the wipers go backward, the indicator/light switch on the left, etc. (though, this is standard on all euro cars). Key is a pain to insert - dunno why, but I *still* have trouble putting the key it. It has to be at a specific angle or no go. The stereo is nothing special, and I have a rear speaker that vibrates the plastics at certain frequencies creating an annoying buzz. A little bluetac should fix it. The speed limiter changes the acceleration behaviour in wierd ways before you're even close to the limit - makes it a bit of a pain, cause you gotta turn it on and off all the time. The bloody "spare wheel in two cans" doesn't fit in the back with the jack. Renault dealers are the worst f*cks I've ever dealt with - I've bought a lemon from a skuzzy used car dealer and have had better customer service than these losers. Oh, and they filled the tank with 95 octane fuel when I picked it up, the cheap bastards! Anyway, don't get me started on the dealers...

That's all I can think of for now. 8)

The cargo net has four hooks that clip onto the four rings inside the 'boot'

These are located two against the back panel about 30 cm in from the

side and the other two behind the seats directly in front. I've also got the

plastic tray protector fitted in my Clio and it has four slots for the rings

to fit through, nice.

Another little quirk I found this morning. The rear seat belt clip shouldn't

rattle if its "attached" to its magnetic "clip", yep thought that was pretty cool.

And yeah, that sodding ignition key, needs to be just so before it goes in.

Seems to be something in common among the 182 owners.

cheers,

The cargo net has four hooks that clip onto the four rings inside the 'boot'

These are located two against the back panel about 30 cm in from the

side and the other two behind the seats directly in front. I've also got the

plastic tray protector fitted in my Clio and it has four slots for the rings

to fit through, nice.

Another little quirk I found this morning. The rear seat belt clip shouldn't

rattle if its "attached" to its magnetic "clip", yep thought that was pretty cool.

And yeah, that sodding ignition key, needs to be just so before it goes in.

Seems to be something in common among the 182 owners.

cheers,

A-ha! Got it. Thanks.

Oh, and I also found a nice place for the "spare tyre" cans. Instead of strapping them to the jack by placing the cans INSIDE the strap (which won't fit), you simply put the cans (in their jacket) flat down and strap in the top/lid of the jacket. Once strapped in, you can close the jacket and the cans now seem firmly attached to the jack. Nice. I'll see how good this setup is at high(er) lateral G's :mrgreen:

Good: Stacker-Lazy when it comes to changing a CD, Left hand pedal, boot net- love this invention, glove box is chilled?-cant say i ever noticed, plastic guards-pitty about bonnet, handeling, looks :?: , just knowing the commondoor and fallapartcon next to me at the lights has to take a backseat ride! (this comment does not include extreamly worked crapboxes, BA V8's or Turbo models...however i will see you at the twistys)

Stupid rear seats squeek when going over bumps!!! :x I have pin pointed it to the metal extensions the hold the seats in!!! crappy design!

Drivers door window rattle!

Hand break feels like you could pull it out!

Aircon is sh*te!!! I dont know if anyone else has to wait 5min to get some cool?

The stereo is nothing special, and I have a rear speaker that vibrates the plastics at certain frequencies

Have that too! even front speakers play up! crackeling! Will all be replaced soon!

Finally!

Tyres wear down too quick! washer water runs out when overused!!! Car drifts when going around a coner too quick!!! I just hate it! :wink:

I love my RSC Cup! Overall the car is a pretty damn decent car to say the least but a few things have caused me considerable irritation.

They are:

1. That damn stereo system. The speakers are just @#$@#$^&!!!

2. Inserting the key into the ignition... needs precision!!

3. Overall French build quality

4. Passenger seat... it just sits too high

5. Steering wheel position... almost van like

6. BLOODY RENAULT DEALERS!!!

I don't know why Renault Australia aren't bothered with keeping tabs on their dealers. Their service is crap. Product knowledge is crap. Manners are crap. Gosh! Apart frm the sales manager from whom I bought my car, I have to say that my general experience with Renault dealers (in Victoria anyway) have been absolutely horrible. And that's probably an understatement! Oh, and yes, i have been to all Renault dealers in Victoria except the one in Geelong!

....2. Inserting the key into the ignition... needs precision!!

....is this a common problem you face Ren?? :P

my main annoyances are mostly the steering wheel (feels like its off a renault truck its so huge!) and seating position, though this is something you get used to i guess (till you sit in something else that is). possibly build quality, but thenl it is a cheapish car at the end of the day

my main annoyances are mostly the steering wheel (feels like its off a renault truck its so huge!) and seating position, though this is something you get used to i guess (till you sit in something else that is). possibly build quality, but thenl it is a cheapish car at the end of the day

I love the steering wheel, especially the rubber thumb grips!

Ren, you said the services in Victoria were crap. In what way? Did they do the job properly?

They just seem clueless about everything!

e.g. U present them with a problem, and they seem to wanna run away frm it instead of trying to get to the bottom of it.

I love the steering wheel, especially the rubber thumb grips!

I'd have to say I don't mind the steering wheel. I know a lot of reviews have bagged the sh*t out of it, but I don't think it's too bad. I'm a 6'3" lad, so I take up a fair bit of space in the drivers seat, but with the seat right down low, and right to the very back I fit in quite nicely.

My biggest problem with the Clio (which isn't really the car's fault) is that there is only 1 Renault dealer in Canberra. It's way down south so it's a 20-25 minute drive from one end of the ACT to the other to get there (which is a long distance for any Canberran!) PLus they're bloody dodgy. You'll need to replace this, and this and this and this.... I said no to a lot of stuff, and yet my last 2 services have totalled over $2k.

Other than that, I have a few plastic interior panels coming away - the top of the a pillar on the driver's side is coming away, as is the c pillar on the same side, my floor mats have worn away terribly in two spots to the point where I have two large gaping holes, which makes the interior of my car look messy even after spending 3 hours detailing the whole car which sucks.

Other than that, my car brings me hours of driving pleasure. It feels a bit cheap because let's face it, it is cheap. Spending the same amount on another brand doesnt get you much!

And, in the wise words of Mr. Jeremy Clarkson:

"it makes you feel.......................happy"

• 3 weeks later...

Heres one I just found this morning.

When you first start the motor and you get the OIL OK readout,

if you push the Tripmeter Reset button the top of the readout

provides a graphic representation of the oil level ie

OOOOOOO

OIL OK

means the oil level is full, as the oil level drops the O's drop...

OOOOO--

OIL OK

until the readout O's all go and it says Fill oil

cool eh?

:D

I only discovered this post today, and i believe its a post about things you have found about your car that you think are cool.. not things that you think are new.. who cares if the 1992 suzuki escudo pikes peak edition came with ESP..

anyhoo..

everybodys covered the good bits, things I dislike is the fact that the auto wipers flicky bit stays down once you have turned your car off, and left it for the night and go to reverse in the morning, and get a dry blade scrape across your rear window, and also the fact that all you have to do it look at it, and its scratched.. that freakin sh*ts me.

oh.. and the fact that nobody wants to race me anymore.. I have to get P platers straight out of the RTA to find anybody wanting to give it a squirt at the traffic light granprix..

Dave

Heres one I just found this morning.

When you first start the motor and you get the OIL OK readout,

if you push the Tripmeter Reset button the top of the readout

provides a graphic representation of the oil level ie

OOOOOOO

OIL OK

means the oil level is full, as the oil level drops the O's drop...

OOOOO--

OIL OK

until the readout O's all go and it says Fill oil

cool eh?

:D

I check my OOOOO's with the ignition on but motor off. Not sure but I think with the motor running it gives a false reading.

I check my OOOOO's with the ignition on but motor off. Not sure but I think with the motor running it gives a false reading.

Yeah, I did wonder about that, I'll try both next time,

cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

wow! So much useless information learnt about the Clio in one night, when I should be doing this assignment!

The strangest thing I've found with the clio is:

1. replacing speakers --> the only clearance space you're allowed is about 1" around the current speaker.

2. The horn on the left indicator stalk...why would we need a horn on the side when we have those two buttons in the middle of our steering wheel!

3. Either my tyres have taken a complete beating, or I can't pedal to the metal on first gear, even when rolling.

2. The horn on the left indicator stalk...why would we need a horn on the side when we have those two buttons in the middle of our steering wheel!

There is a horn on the left indicator stalk? cool :P

*runs to car to try it out*

Um, where? :?

it's on the end of the indicator stalk. it's basically the mirror copy of the trip meter button on the wiper side. press it and you'll be pleasantly surprised. i think it's so that French people can beep while they signal... coz they drive like nutters.

lOL! Thank goodness they removed it in later versions then!

You'd have no idea how many weird looks I get while:

1. Trying to play around with my trip computer, late night.

2. ...switching lanes.

Well, today I went to park in a Street in Balmain which REQUIRES you to park with two wheels on the footpath (it is allowed). So, As always I went front tyre first. By the time the rear was ready to go up on the footpath... It was already in the air! As high as the footpath! So, naturally I never have to worry about the rear being curbed getting onto a footpath.... cause it is already in the air!

Another interesting thing - If I corner into my street hard enough (has just been returfed :D), you get three wheels :D I'm going to LOVE getting home at 3am! No cars, new turf = 3 wheel cornering!

Also interesting is the car. The amount of GUYS commenting on the car is outrageous (girls just stare at it as I drive past... but they must be starring at me :lol: ). It must be the colour! Today, outside the restaurant in Marion St, Leichhardt (where XX909 Parks all the time)... 4 guys... 1 guy was staring and screams to the other guys "that's a hot car!". So, 4 guys turn and stare at it. Again, one guy said "niccce car mate!". Lights change green. I was in the right lane.... naturally I hop into the Left lane and FLY past all the cars in the right lane. Guys just watched.....

I'm loving this car!

haha nice Teki!

Did they also scream, sick rims bro?

hehe. Unlike you, my friends (...female usually...) look at my car and go, oh but its...ugly and a hatchback, then I get the chance to rant mode to them just how awesome it is while they look confused. Although ranting is always fun. And I'm making no sense at the moment.

Anyway, the best part for me thus far is the always wanted :shock:. This happened when I was driving down Ferntree Gully road, and I had three passengers (humanly possible? I don't know, the clio's done it!) and me and my friend's Echo (yes...an echo) were having a go.

Naturally, being a good sport, I let him start in front a lil....we were going about 60 at the time (its an 80 road!). Still in second, I planted my foot, shift shift shift and all I hear from the back is my mate goin HOLY CRAP HOLY CRAP THIS HAS SO MUCH POWER!

...enough said.

Today, outside the restaurant in Marion St, Leichhardt (where XX909 Parks all the time)... 4 guys... 1 guy was staring and screams to the other guys "that's a hot car!". So, 4 guys turn and stare at it. Again, one guy said "niccce car mate!". Lights change green. I was in the right lane.... naturally I hop into the Left lane and FLY past all the cars in the right lane. Guys just watched.....

I'm loving this car!

He owns that restaurant. Sure it wasn't him and a bunch of his mates???? One of them owns a silver C2 VTR.

cut and paste from cliosport

Theres a simple diagnostics built into the Mk2 Clio's

To access this, with the igition off press and keep hold of the button at the end of the stalk and turn the ignition on. ALl the dashboard warning lights will come on and the speedo and rev counter will go through a predefined sequene.

When your doing this though (you can let go of the button at the end of the stalk) ever time you press the stalk button the digital readout will show information (listed belew) each time you press the button some more information will show.

All the lights lit (shows if you have a failed LED).

The amount of fuel left in the tank in liters.

Fuel flow (the engine has to be running. This is in liters per hour

Stored faults

t mean an injection fault has been detected for a minimum of 4 seconds

J means a fault has been noted on the fuel gauge. It must have disconnected for longer than 100 seconds. The resistance from the fuel tank sensor needs to be between 5 and 350 Ohms.

d means an injection signal fault has been detected

h means an oil level sensor fault has been detected. Resistance from the sensor should be between 6 and 20 Ohms. Any reading over 20Ohms is an open cicuit anything under 3 is a short circuit.

If no faults are logged then dashes will show fixed dashes.

Press the reset button to clear the logged faults. Other faults arn't shown on the display.

edde is offline Reply With Quote

Nearly 3 years of ownership and I just found the internal "handle" to pull the rear lid closed. Saves putting grubby fingers on the outside.

Nice touch.

pops u must be really short, or maybe you never looked up in those 3 years of owning the car !! :mrgreen:

how you missed that handle is a mystery .. haha

... he makes his wife unload the groceries from the trolley, that's why.

my wife is way too scared to use my car for the groceries.

I think the earlier post is correct - I'm too short. But I'm tipping I'm not the only one too miss the internal handle. Time and more posts will tell.

my wife is way too scared to use my car for the groceries.

I think the earlier post is correct - I'm too short.

But I'm tipping I'm not the only one too miss the internal handle. Time and more posts will tell.

Well my last car had one of those internal handles for the hatch, which I discovered after a "while"... :oops:

Of course once I got the Clio, it was one of the first things I looked for... :mrgreen:

Grocery shopping... the most dangerous place for a car is a shopping centre carpark on a Saturday... :x