rs 265 engine failure

two65r

the only work that has been done is the removal of the original donk. The new engine has been sitting in a box on a pallet for 2 weeks.

I appreciate the optimistic views however I have been around long enough to be cautiously pessimistic when dealing with corporations .

the only work that has been done is the removal of the original donk. The new engine has been sitting in a box on a pallet for 2 weeks.

I appreciate the optimistic views however I have been around long enough to be cautiously pessimistic when dealing with corporations .

Do you know what has been done to the blown motor since it was removed? Is it being inspected or just laying on the floor. The time frame is getting a bit ridiculous now.

If it was me I think that I would sit down and write a measured email to the service centre where the car is addressing my concerns point by point and then ask that they provide a written response outlining...what is happening, decisions they have made...times frames etc...then in the cc line copy in Renault Australia and the Department of Fair Trading for whatever state you are in. I believe the documenting approach is best now and trying them down to a written response also....The cc to Fair Trading will also give them a tune up

Wish you all the best with it...As you said..The time frame is getting a bit ridiculous now.

I don't think copying in Fair Trading will accomplish anything. Most dealers/manufacturers would get their back up about this. I would only go down that path if they didn't come to the party. At this stage, they're just slow. But you have a loan car so the only inconvenience is not driving your RS.

The information being given to the customer is vague at best and I think it's not unreasonable for Renault to provide updates on progress in a timely fashion.

It sounds like the dealer is doing a good job but Renault Australia have left the customer completely in the dark for weeks now, and to me at least, that just isn't good enough IMHO.

It doesn't take a month to determine what the fault was, neither should it take a month to inform the customer on what is happening to his car.

Edit: Not Fair Trading worthy at this stage but if things go sour over time you'll be in a much better position with full documentation.

I don't think copying in Fair Trading will accomplish anything. Most dealers/manufacturers would get their back up about this. I would only go down that path if they didn't come to the party. At this stage, they're just slow.

Agreed.

I would suggest cc'ing your complaint to Vicki Ryal from Renault Australia at Vicki_Ryal@renault.com.au. She is the Customer Service Manager.

My 5 cents worth - your engine failure should be covered by warranty, PERIOD. So they can take another 6 months to diagnose the fault for all you care, but your concern is that your car is put back on the road pronto.

I would tell them they have until Thursday 23rd May to deliver your car back with a new engine *, afterwhich you will seek legal advice. From experience things happen quicker when a (reasonable) deadline is set, followed by the magic words 'legal action'.

* This is assuming a new engine is already available at the dealership.

When they are finished I would like to buy it, would like the Turbo and Injectors!!

My thoughts are...if after sending an email if you receive no satisfactory reply within 7 days then...Fair Trading should be involved. Some people do misunderstand the role of Fair Tarding...the reality is there have no teeth...but are really only there to provide help when the CUSTOMER is not getting information or answers in a timely manner...Like this issue...I beleive our man has been more than patient...some info

What is the role of the Fair Trading officer?

Fair Trading officers are qualified and skilled in the area of dispute resolution and will:

•provide impartial advice to the parties with a dispute

•allow all parties to put forward their points

•explain the relevant matters in the dispute

•confirm that all relevant matters have been discussed

•put forward suggestions as to the best way to resolve the dispute.

The Fair Trading officer will not:

•take sides or represent either the vehicle owner or licensed motor dealer or repairer

•continue with the dispute resolution process if the parties do not show a willingness to reach an agreeable settlement

•offer any legal advice.

The Fair Trading officer cannot:

•order any party in the dispute ◦to allow or do any work to a vehicle

◦to pay any money

◦to return a vehicle to any person

•dismantle any components or diagnose any problem with a vehicle beyond what the officer is able to see or hear

•force either party to continue with the dispute resolution process.

The dispute resolution process is voluntary and depends on the co-operation of both parties to succeed.

Motor vehicle warranty and repair disputes

NSW Fair Trading provides a free dispute resolution service to motor vehicle owners, licensed motor dealers or licensed motor vehicle repairers with statutory warranty or repair disputes. The following information outlines NSW Fair Trading’s dispute resolution process for warranty and repair disputes.

The dispute resolution service offered by Fair Trading is a voluntary process between the motor vehicle owner and the licensed motor dealer or repairer. Dispute resolution is assisted by an experienced Fair Trading officer and where necessary with mechanical trade qualifications.

Fair Trading aims to resolve disputes through mutual agreement. Fair Trading will endeavour to bring the parties with the dispute together on site to resolve the dispute. However, a teleconference may be arranged instead if preferred.

The dispute resolution process will not result in orders that require either party to do anything or to pay any amount of money. It is also not the role of a Fair Trading officer to inspect any motor vehicle and determine faults

If there is a new engine sitting there, the warranty claim has been approved. A dealership will not order a new long motor worth over $10,000 if the claim has not been approved. I have replaced engines as a mechanic and for any job worth over $1300 approval via a claims process must be sought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Any news?

Interesting - I was just reading about a guy with a VW that had a failure (over on Whirlpool) and this bit of legal advice came up with regard to consumer expectations and such.

http://www.cviaq.com.au/PDFs/Dealer%20Bulletin.pdf

Seems for a major failure of this sort, the OP might be entitled to a full refund or replacement of the vehicle, especially if the manufacturer is taking their sweet time... just a thought that it might be worth pursuing if it isn't being resolved quickly.

also have to think about the fact the engine number will not be the same..

has to be sorted out at Vicroads/RTA etc. Would it show up in the car history?

Not normally.. a PPSR search just shows the identifiers associated with the vehicle, from my knowledge they don't record any changes of engine, etc.

VIC registration labels have the engine number printed on them, from memory lower LH corner.

You'd definitely have to let the RTA in ur state know.. Or maybe the dealership would? Im not sure on the process..

Hey all

Final update: Renault has noe got back to me & I'm happy to say we've sorted it all out . A new engine wil be installed & I'll be back on the road soon ( but please dont sak me the deatils of the deal - not surprisingly I'm not ble to tel you ).

Thanks for all your support guys

Glad you got it sorted. You might not be able to share your specific details but do you have any tips for us from your experience? What you would do differently when dealing with Renault Australia or a dealer or whatever. I figured there must be a learning here that we can all benefit from...

Fantastic, good to hear its sorted and I hope it does not mar ownership too much.

Hope to see you are some future meets.

Good to hear you finally got it sorted, but not being able to disclose the cause is just dodgy and will do Renault more harm than telling the truth. RenaultGate.

Hehehehe!!! ...I think Renault installed a remote kill switch, if OP talks, Renault presses the button!

Good to hear you finally got it sorted, but not being able to disclose the cause is just dodgy and will do Renault more harm than telling the truth. RenaultGate.

Hehehehe!!! ...I think Renault installed a remote kill switch, if OP talks, Renault presses the button!

Hahahahaha :D

as for Renault Oz - no doubt if there was a more widespread issue it would be obvious on OzRS by now.

• 2 years later...

Just to add to this thread dig, given I just read the whole topic...

I once had a loan clunker vehicle, loan vehicle from smash repairers who were repairing my near new Pug 206 GTi, this is after someone turned right across my path... :(

http://206gti.net/dr-crash/

The loan car in question was a VR or VS Commodore Berlina... I was due to drive from Sydney to Orange the weekend after the accident occurred and this car evidently had low engine oil... Oil light was coming on at times e.g. when braking... Given I wanted to make it to Orange and such neglect pained me I did an engine oil and filter change on this car prior to heading off to Orange... It made it to Orange and back, but it was an adventure... It had a transmission slip whenever seeking to accelerate with vigour... I presented the receipts for engine oil and oil filter to the panel beater proprietor when the car was returned, he was quite shocked but thankful...

Edited by itsdamo

Not a thread dig at all from Dave. I'm fairly certain someone posted before Dave regarding another engine failure. A fellow from New Zealand. I saw the post but it looks to have been deleted.....

Ah, that might explain it then...

I did see this article on ABC news today, mentions confidentiality agreements regarding repairs to cars: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-14/choice-steps-up-campaign-against-defective-cars/7244770

lol don't blame me, I was replying to a kiwi who posted earlier today but appears to have deleted his post.

OK, perhaps this mysterious kiwi just signed a non-disclosure agreement, so changed their mind about posting :news:

A what?

Non-disclosure agreements: the fact that before major repairs are performed a lot of owners are being forced to sign NDAs before work begins. There is about to be a big investigation into the issue.

Reading the above brought this recent article to mind..... and the specific section pertaining to NDA's

http://www.smh.com.au/business/retail/owners-of-lemon-cars-are-struggling-to-use-their-consumer-rights-to-end-nightmare-20160311-gngmhs

Throwing a rod out the side of the block must be a very rare occurrence with the F4R and F4RT.

There must have been very specific circumstances for it to happen. Either a fault during manufacturing or assembly or another very specific occurrence.

Reason being is that I've belted the absolute crap out of an R26R at the Nurburgring (RSR Nurburg hire car) for over 140 laps without incident. Now if the F4RT can handle that it can handle anything.

Throwing a rod out the side of the block must be a very rare occurrence with the F4R and F4RT.

There must have been very specific circumstances for it to happen. Either a fault during manufacturing or assembly or another very specific occurrence.

Reason being is that I've belted the absolute crap out of an R26R at the Nurburgring (RSR Nurburg hire car) for over 140 laps without incident. Now if the F4RT can handle that it can handle anything.

If you go searching, both of these engines have had small samples of failures in multiple countries, no-one can give a straight answer why.

Annoying for those whom its happened to, as others like yourself, have had the totally opposite experience.