Speed camera location

HomerRS

Hi guys. I have done a search on this subject and not much has been said for a couple of years so just wondering what the legalities are on discussing on the forum? Still a Newbie so not sure of the rules..

Can't think of any reason but just wondering why no comment on the subject for so long.. My RS grin got wiped off when we collected the mail yesterday. Front row seats at Vic Police xmas party now booked.

It should be illegal to have a mobile speed camera like the one on Pacific Hwy in Lake Munmorah. Especially when the speed limits are 60 - 70 - 80. When I spotted the camera I had to decrease to 60, because I had no clue what was the speed in that area. Luckily it was 70 but the speed sign was only a good 1.5k's down the road.

But they are not their for revenue raising and they save lives.

Mobile Speed Cameras are one of the reasons I would never move to Victoria.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Hey thanks for that Dish.

I feel ur pain domlebo. Picked up the RS last Monday. Decided to revisit the road Matt had taken us for the test drive in the AGP the next day. Yarra boulevard. Hmm get mail yesterday and here's an invitation to join Vic's finest at their xmas party. Speed camera 1, RS 0. Haha

I'm sorta petrified only having 4 points on my P's after a few close calls/experiences.

I have been in a passenger in a car pulled up on a road by a policeman with a handheld camera who proceeded to issue a fine to a friend for 63km/h in a 60 zone.

I unwisely piped up saying that if we were in the US or UK it would have been a little over 1mph. I received a gob-full.

Hey thanks for that Dish.

I feel ur pain domlebo. Picked up the RS last Monday. Decided to revisit the road Matt had taken us for the test drive in the AGP the next day. Yarra boulevard. Hmm get mail yesterday and here's an invitation to join Vic's finest at their xmas party. Speed camera 1, RS 0. Haha

Damn was it a mobile camera? It's very hard to resist the temptation of the Boulevard. I once saw a long line of Honda Civics having their plates taken down by the police. Great place for an RS test drive though.

Joel on the fine it has fixed camera. I did a safety lap 1st to check for any radar but must have missed it. And yeah it was that location for the test drive that sold us. I'm just wandering if CA received a nasty in the mail from it... lol. Have been meaning to go back and find the camera.

Joel on the fine it has fixed camera. I did a safety lap 1st to check for any radar but must have missed it. And yeah it was that location for the test drive that sold us. I'm just wandering if CA received a nasty in the mail from it... lol. Have been meaning to go back and find the camera.

It must be very well hidden and doing a roaring trade!

I don't think that this covert approach works, I certainly don't drive around thinking "they could be anywhere" like they claim to want you to. When I see marked HWP it makes me take notice though. What good is getting a letter in the mail weeks after the offence, from a road safety point of view? If speed kills then you've potentially been driving around like a tw*t for weeks putting everyone's lives at risk and being a menace to society until you receive the fine.

BTW, and I think I mentioned this elsewhere, I read that all fixed and mobile speed cameras in VIC are now operating with infrared flashes, so you won't even know you've been photographed/caught at the time, and neither will other road users get the message that 'road safety' is being policed.

dont get me started about speed cameras ......... or cash cameras as they should be called

in nsw they are removing some . theres a move to make them visible and mobile ones not hidden anymore

visible policing is coalition policy in nsw but not victoria .

i had a heated debate with the mexican police minister about it on ABC regional radio and unfortunately for mexico the police minister is a moron and the govt loves revenue . a few monash university academics drive the support of revenue cameras and the vic govt , both labor and liberal hides behind that . the data ysed comes from false premises about the cause of accidents .. they blame '' speed '' for everything rather than the real cuase , which distorts the figures .

police / roads ministers generally have NO idea about road safety and do what the pubic servants tell them to do , and if it raises money , even better !!

Rob, do you know anything about the 30 VW Caddy vans Crownleyian is referring to. Sounds like things are getting worse not better.

I was driving back from Bondi a few weeks ago and saw a tiny portable sign saying 'Your Speed Has Been Checked' near the top of Centennial Park. I'm normally pretty good at spotting the setups but completely missed where the cop/camera was. I wasn't speeding but it annoyed me.

Wasn't Barry supposed to be improving things?

Inappropriate speed limits were meant to be fixed as well but yet they've lowered that huge section of King Georges Rd from 70 to 60. Madness.

And places like the RNP where anybody driving vaguely sensibly i.e not dangerously slowly is 'speeding'.

tubbsy , theres rumours the signage is to become bigger and an effort made to prevent trapping people

inappropriate speed limits CAUSE accidents but the academics at monash and UNSW who call the shots wont admit it - they academics dream , which they sell to the public servants , is to have everyone drive at one low speed

the evidence from overseas shows too low limits leads to loss o concentraion , which leads to accidents , theres a speed point at which people are alert - but that would be higher than the limis set in oz ... try about 10-20 kph higher on major roads - thats why everyone gets booke as the safest speed is what people do

note that traps are set up where the biggest diferential between posted speed and safest [ higher ] speed exists . you never see revenue cameras or laser cops hidingwhere there isnt a differential between the 2

There was a mobile speed camera set up at the bottom of one of the hills (i.e. heading down hill) north of Goulburn when I was heading home from Canberra on Sunday. Was wondering why I suddenly caught so many cars with my cruise control set to 110 km/h, and then spotted the "Your speed has been checked" sign. :evil:

I have noticed that the Clio seems to pick up a bit of speed down hills with the cruise control on... What's the speed tolerance on those revenue raisers?

A while ago I read the findings of a study that discovered drivers will generally drive at a speed at which they found comfortable and which they considered safe, regardless of speed limits - we have a built-in self preservation mode after all (well, most of us, except suicide bombers I guess!).

Hooning well above acceptable limits didn't really show up in it from my recollection (I'll try to find the study...). IMO, recklessly excessive speeding is quite often done by those wanting to recklessly exceed the speed limit - rules are there to be broken according to some!

As I'm sure most of you would also do, I'd rather be watching the road ahead defensively than distractingly watching my speedo with the fear of being nabbed.

The study sounds right Dish and it's not like we are driving a 5yr old Yaris around hey..The RS is a finely tuned piece of machinery and argues with me all the time about playing fair and following the rules. Haha.. I just wish we had it up in Nth QLD.

• 3 weeks later...

Having spent 18 months working within one of the aforementioned organisations, I'd like to add a few comments:

- the teams within the statutory authorities are well meaning and pretty frustrated with "the system"

- the politicians are swayed by whatever popular opinion says, and want to be re-elected

- the money goes to the research organisations who almost never research performance cars, based on informing the largest cohort

- physical road tests are carried out, but use antiquated policies, measures, tools, and techniques to determine the "safe" speed of a road and its corners

- safer road technology is the biggest factor in saving lives on our roads, and the most expensive for any particular government to implement

My conclusion:

Use it while you can. Without a massive change in thinking, Australia will never go down the "autobahn" path (like it could, should, and I wish it would!). Population (lack of), distance (too much per population), cost (heaps of), and space (lack of), and politics (short-term agenda of) will all add up to inadequate spending and results.

Be thankful for the small patches of wonderful bitumen we can find without permanent time-distance-based cameras. They too will be based on population density, so I'm glad to be living where I am for now.

:cry::cry::cry:

I was driving down the Federal Highway north of Lake George on Sunday and hit that new average speed section. About 5kms into that there was a mobile speed camera. Another 5kms down the road there was a cop with a radar and then, of course, the other end of the average soeed camera section. Wouldn't take much to lose your license within 15 minutes on a double demerits weekend!