Interstate Rego

cooper

So when you buy a car from another state, obviously you have to re register it in the state in which the owner lives.

I am looking at a QLD car, that has half a year of registration in QLD, but I will need to re register it in NSW.

Do I get a rebate on that cancelled QLD rego?

What is the process for doing this? Does this happen in NSW or does it need to be done in QLD?

Cheers guys.

You can get a rebate on the rego. I bought a NSW car with a bunch of rego on it and brought it back to Canberra. I had to get a form off the NSW RTA website, photocopy all the necessary documents (surrender of plates, license, new rego etc) and then send it all in to the RTA.

It took them two months to process and (surprise, surprise) the rebate was only counted from the end of that two months rather than when I first sent it in. All for only $80 or so in the end. Still, it's money I would have had otherwise.

You'd need to check on the QLD RTA or equivalent site to see about cancelling rego.

You can have the old state rego rebated back for the unsued portion. When i brought my F2 back from SA i had to fill in a form for the refund of the rego .

Not sure on the greenlip component, there is more you could get back here but believe its a little harder to do and may need the either the new state greenslip or licence plate confirmation before they will cancel the existing policy and rebate the amount back. You would need to liaise with the issuing company for this i believe.

So when you buy a car from another state, obviously you have to re register it in the state in which the owner lives.

You don't have to re register it in the owner's state AFAIK.

You have a period of time ( 2 weeks in SA as an example?) to change the vehicle over to your name and pay stamp duty. IMHO you'd be best to use this time period to drive it back to NSW and pay stamp duty etc there. It will probably save you a lot of headaches!

Then send the plates back to QLD and they should refund the unused rego.

Not your exact case, but helpful for mexicans... i spoke to vicroads and all the buyer needs concerning them is a receipt with all details and everything else is done locally with them.

When you surrender the plates to them, they will provide a note of some sort to retrieve the remainder of the interstate rego.

@ Jeffie - Correct, works the same in NSW, you bring the car back then surrender the plates, get the cancellation ref and then that allows you to reclaim the unsused portion.

@ murcod - Im assuming cooper means re-register the can in the state of the new owner. Agreed that doing it in the sellers state may duplicate some costs.

• 6 months later...

Hi All,

I picked up an R27 from Melbourne just over a week ago and drove it back to Sydney. Does anyone know how long I can drive it with VIC rego? I know I have to basically register it as a new car here in NSW but I'm trying to delay it a month or so if I can to help with cash flow. I know you have 2 weeks if you buy a car to transfer it under your name but with mine I will be cancelling the VIC rego (get a refund on the balance) and getting new rego here. I already got a Blue Slip (took two hours to find the engine number!)

Cheers

TJ

Hey mate,

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to OzRS. Assuming you got Alan's lovely car?

You might find some answers in the link below, but best you find out from VicRoads or NSW RTA.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11398

Cheers, Dish.

I went through this earlier in the year - Vicroads will only transfer to your name if you have a Victorian address. The options were to get a temp permit for 24 hours and drive back without plates or have the seller agree to take the risk while I drove around for a bit. I did the latter but managed to get the blue slip and NSW rego done within a couple of weeks. I also felt better about having the car registered in my name, more at ease with insurance etc. Plus the few dollars extra I paid by registering early is a very small part of the overall cost.

Oops - edit: to answer your question, I understood you could continue to drive it until Vic reg ran out or was cancelled - best to discuss with the seller and maybe your insurer if that is your intention.

remember to cash in the VIC rego - they will send you a cheque with the remaining amount credited to you.

can drive on those plates but best transferring as soon as possible.

Happy to be proven wrong but I'm fairly sure that unless you can transfer the Vic rego into your name, they won't give you a refund. In my case the seller would have been entitled to a refund once he cancelled but not me from NSW.

Hey mate,

Congrats on the purchase, and welcome to OzRS. Assuming you got Alan's lovely car?

You might find some answers in the link below, but best you find out from VicRoads or NSW RTA.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=11398

Cheers, Dish.

Thanks Mate, yeah I got Alan's car. The 9 hour drive back to Sydney was like torture. The Clio is renowned for it's handling and I ended up taking one corner the way home, a McDonalds driveway :roll:

I sure hope I can get a refund on the balance of the rego as I was counting on it pay for the airfare down there.

remember to cash in the VIC rego - they will send you a cheque with the remaining amount credited to you.

Happy to be proven wrong but I'm fairly sure that unless you can transfer the Vic rego into your name, they won't give you a refund. In my case the seller would have been entitled to a refund once he cancelled but not me from NSW.

correct. the seller gets the refund (they paid for 12 months rego and didn't get the full 12 months worth)

The bike I bought in Melbourne I got a refund on rego. Got seller supplied rwc and registered in my name in NSW. Then called up Vic roads to cancel Vic rego they sent me $102 for remaining 3 months rego

This was in 2005. No harm in asking :)

Ok, just got of the phone with VIC roads. The person who buys the car is entitled to the refund.

You need to first register it, then hand in the VIC plates to the RTA to which they will provide a receipt. Then fill in a refund form and send in the paperwork and you get a refund cheque in 4-6 weeks.

When I checked, I think you had to transfer it into your name (via a Victorian residential address) and then cancel to get a refund in the form of a cheque in your name - this meant paying your 4% or whatever stamp duty in Vic, then I suppose another 3% of the price again in NSW to register there.

The previous owner would certainly be entitled to a refund once the rego is cancelled, and up to you to negotiate this with them.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I might update this thread. I have now received my refund cheque from VIC roads. It took 2 weeks and I had to do the following:

Blue Slip

CTP

REGO (New Plates)

Hand in old VIC plates to RTA and get a receipt for it

Fill in refund form on VIC Roads website.

Send the following with the refund form:

Receipt for plates

Copy of sale receipt for car

Old rego paper for car (VIC)

Copy of license

Copy of new NSW rego paper

2 Weeks later I got a refund cheque in my name for the balance of the rego.

• 6 months later...

I can add to this confusion.

I bought my car from QLD in December. I transfered the rego to NSW before the end of the year and surrendered the QLD plates. Then I applied to the QLD rta to cancel the old REGO and applied for a refund of the balance (about 6 months). I jumped through all the hoops and provided every piece of documentation that was required. They held my application for 3 months and I followed up with 3 phone calls.

Finally I received a terse letter from them saying that I was not entitled to a refund on the cancelled rego because I was not a QLD resident and I did not re-register the vehicle in QLD.

They offered me the solution- NOW GET THIS!! I can move to QLD, re- register the vehicle, pay the stamp duty on a new registration and then apply for a refund of the balance of the remaining time on a pro rata scale.

Gee they are so clever at stealing from interstate residents of our wonderful country.

If you buy a QLD car from interstate - beware. You will have no joy in recovering any rego balance. They advise to cancel the rego before the car leaves the state as the only method of reclaiming any pro rata registration balance.