Howdy. Looking to build an R26 track-car

BG5WRC

Hi guys. I'm from Perth and this looks like it might be the place I can ask some questions.

I am looking to build a Megane for track and other motorsport use; however all my background is in Subaru's - particularlly older Legacy's - so I dont really know what costs to expect or whom to contact for parts etc.

The plan would be to buy a base model 225, strip it, fit R26 bumpers and external components, buy a turbo model engine and associated wiring (I presume wiring between a base 225 model and the turbo model is quite different?) etc (ala front-cut or damaged/written off turbo model without any front-end damage) and swap it all over. It doesn't make sense to destroy a perfectly good R26 for this - based on cost, hence building one.

It'd be great to find out what people think this might cost me; considering in labor hours I would be doing most of it myself. Suspension, brake, tyre, cage, seat etc upgrades I will factor in - but just keen to know if anyone has gone down this path?

I have been sold on the idea of building one of these ever since taking one around the Nurburgring last year - plus I'm always keen to throw something unique around the track.

Cheers.

Adrian.

Welcome!!

This hasn't been done in Australia to my knowledge. I'd suggest signing up to Meganesport.net (UK forum) if you haven't already.

In my mind, it would make more sense to buy a phI 225 as a base (effectively same engine as later R26) and mod from there. It'd save you from finding a 'half-cut' & mucking around with engine looms etc. Plus you'd be changing the suspension, brakes etc anyway. I just don't think you'd pick up a non-sport Megane & a Sport wreck + engine changeover costs for less than just an early 225 sport.

Good luck with it & I look forward to the progress! I'm sure the Meggy tribe will be along here shortly to fill you in properly. I'm just a wee Clio troller.

Alex

EDIT: Re parts - http://www.k-tecracing.com is a start.

EDIT 2: I'm talking about something like this - http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/pri ... __Qpb=true

Thanks for the advice. What price range should I expect to pay for a Phase I 225? You can see I am used to the luxury of finding frontcuts etc relatively easily, I did imagine the opposite with Renault parts. All part of the challenge if I go that route.

Welcome to the forum mate,

Sounds like an exciting prospect, parts won't be cheap for the megane - there is virtually nil support for the renault brand over here in Australia.

As walkie pointed out, if you plan on getting a 225 and building up, you don't need to swap a turbo motor into it, as it already has one! The r26 has exactly the same engine and associated components, the only thing being that the r26 produces a whopping 3kw more power than the standard Megane Sport 225.

If you want to build this car up, i highly recommend you talk to Paul at RSTuning UK, and a guy called Icarus on meganesport.net - they have so much knowledge on the megane its not funny.

I reackon if you base your car on the r26r and try and build something similar, you will have yourself quite the weapon :D

Goodluck!

Thanks for the edit, not completely familiar with the phase I / II specifics so was struggling to find a phase I listed example on carsales. $19k is very reasonable when considering R26's with the same engine package seem to be 30- high30's

Thanks for the edit, not completely familiar with the phase I / II specifics so was struggling to find a phase I listed example on carsales. $19k is very reasonable when considering R26's with the same engine package seem to be 30- high30's

The suspension is much improved in the later Meganes (phI 225 cup excluded) and the R26 has a LSD, 18s, fancy paintwork, limited edition prowess and most importantly, stickers!

Easiest way to tell phI/phII (non-cup):

phI / phII:

- 17" 8-spoke wheels / 17" multi-spoke (3-dr non-cup), 18" multi-spoke (5dr non-cup)

- pronounced fog-light surrounds / recessed fog-lights

- flatter grilles / angular upper & lower grilles

- white stripe in rear tailights is horizontal / vertical

yeah my bet would be a phI cup and then diff, strip etc..

Good luck with it mate.

PM sent

Non-cups are generally cheaper & the suspension is being changed anyway...

Welcome.

Sounds like you're talking from liberty/legacy experience there with the 'build up a stocker to be a turbo' thinking.

Not so simple with the RS cars as there are so many changes, you would need a stiffer rear beam, and plenty of other things, not just a front cut.

The cars aren't so common.. but you'll find that Ph1 and Ph2 Cups are pretty good value 2nd hand and all you need are a diff, suspension and brake mods to turn it into a track beast.

Strip the interior and you're pretty close to an R26R. It may be lighter, but with RS Tuner and exhaust you will end up being about as quick or quicker than the real thing.

yeah my bet would be a phI cup and then diff, strip etc..

Good luck with it mate.

PM sent

Non-cups are generally cheaper & the suspension is being changed anyway...

Non switchable traction control could be a pain unless you can re-program with the RS Tuner.

I spoke to Paul from RS tuning at length last night and he's a top bloke :)

Brenda is right about Paul and Icarus being very knowledgeable, I have had dealings with both over the FastChip / RStuner debate.

Pual is putting out 240ATW with his stage 2 remap, de-cat and uprated injectors. Keep in mind he is one of the best tunners around and has remapped his car 180 times on his own rolling road to get it to that stage.

There was that guy in SA that did the meggy remap on a RR, what was his name again?

You can get the injectors for about $600 landed and the de-cat I am working on a group buy, will post about that shortly.

WELCOME on board, i should have a set of wheels on sale soon, keep an eye out....

Pual is putting out 240ATW with his stage 2 remap, de-cat and uprated injectors.

DAMMMMMM, 240 is way too much.... Imagine that thing sucking petrol, you will need a seperate credit card for fuel expenditure... :mrgreen: Im picturing wheel spin in 6th gear..... :drool::drool:

Actually coming to think of it :idea: , I would mod my car to that extent BUT only if i had another Megane in my garage...

Maybee i should enter those comp's and hopefully have the same luck as Brendan since i missed outo n OZ Lotto...

thanks guys. I dont imagine this being a fast turn-around project. The plan is hopefully to decide on components over the next few months and start it later this year - but I'm taking one for a test-drive this weekend :)

I dont think I will be chasing big power, the focus will be weight and handling - combined with a mild tune initially.

I dont think I will be chasing big power, the focus will be weight and handling - combined with a mild tune initially.

That is a sensible approach with these car as the magic is in the chassis :)

The R26.R has a softer set-up because it's lighter and the LSD, so that might be something to consider. Also when I spoke to Paul, he mentioned the new injectors were plug and play you just need a new .cal file to take advantage of them.

hi there

i have an R26 , fully stripped out with race seats , harness bar 5 point harness , upgrade ecu , straight through exhaust .

next on the list is a roll cage and carbon bonnet , braided lines and race pads

my first track day is 20th august so i am looking forward to see how it goes

i am in melbourne if you want to see the car

cheers

harry

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a good set up harry, good luck at your track day. I will be keen to hear how you fare and how it compares on the track to whatever else is out there.

I test drove another 225 yesterday evening; disappointed to say it was a shocker! 2004 model, but felt very low on power compared to the others, revs cut out (soft red line?) at 5800, overdue for a service and was at 62k so i presume the big 60k service, paint looked like it had been polished with sandpaper, front bumper was loose, roof lining was loose around the sunroof controls, a bunch of incar rattles - apparently one elderly gentlemen owner, which i doubt. haha was quite entertaining, needless to say I didn't bother negotiating on price.

• 1 month later...

Look forward to seeing what you start with and how the project goes from there.

Maybe do some little vids if you have the time.

Of course 1st, you have to get the Meg.

Best wishes on that hunt, may she be a good starting point.

WOLF

• 3 weeks later...

It went for $5k, reasonable front damage but not so much that it would be hard to repair. Bumper support bar pushed back, but no damage to intercooler or radiator etc. Because you have to replace things like airbags, windscreen etc and most repairers hate to repair french cars 5k is probably the correct range. If the car is definately sold I will post up a link and pics, but at this stage I'm hoping the person who outbid me didn't pay the deposit and I might still get it.

The final prices aren't ready yet, but the parts would between (really roughly - and always good to base on higher amount):

BUMPER KIT 7701477043 $1100 - 1500

SUPPORT 8200534784 $300 - 500

HEADLAMPS 7701063222 $300-450 each (standard - not xenon)

FOGLAMPS 7711223682 $550 - 650 the pair

FENDER $300 - 450 (comes in 5 parts)

WINDSCREEN 8200200547 $800-900 no sensor (better to get from here unless you want genuine)

Here if you get the green light.

WOLF

Hey mate good look with the hunting there definitely a great car for the track.

You should stay away from anything Phase 1 unless its a Phase 1 Cup..as the non cups do not have switchable esp and will restrict you on the track etc.

I'd assume you can pick up a good condition phase 1 225 now for under 25k..as we traded our one in 2yrs ago for that much..and it was spotless inside out bu thad 75k on the clock.

Cheers,

Hash

$6250 plus fees

I bid the other week and it fell through as there was a reserve, so it would indicate this is close to about as low as the insurance company would let go of it.

interestingly I have found a bit about it, thanks to a VCHECk.

Plates from near new were [FUN225] - anyone know it? And it was commercially rego'd to a company, not sure who. It was advertised in July for $31k with ~62k on the clock and sold 22/7 privately - it seems it was an unlucky car for the new owner. Here's hoping not so for me.

Cheers.

It's a 2005 build (but sold Feb 2006) - does that make it an 05 or an 06? And it is a CUP

Will keep a log of work and photos for those interested. First post will be once it arrives in a week or two.

Congrats!!

A dealer will always go off the build date (no matter when it was first registered/driven on the road) so it's an '05.

Can't wait for the updates!!

• 3 weeks later...